Honored Contributor

I was in a real bagel bakery today

[ Edited ]

They made the bagels there including boiling them. It reminded me of my parents and my Bronx childhood, I walked out of there smiling from ear to ear

PS the pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese lox spread was delisious

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: I was in a real bagel bakery today

@I am still oxox  Know what you mean. A store in our town makes them. Delicious. Always long lines every day. I am across the river from you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in NYC/Brooklyn where we got the BEST, most delicious BAGELS.

Many years ago, I moved to southern California --- and am still looking for good, large-sized bagels. I used to live in Oak Park, CA - and they have a Western Bagel, which is excellent - but not convenient for me now.

I buy bagels at Costco --- they're quite good - but I miss going to a bagel bakery with lots more choices.

I also miss those delicious New York BIALIES!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Ess-a-Bagel

That's all I have to say. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

I grew up in NYC/Brooklyn where we got the BEST, most delicious BAGELS.

Many years ago, I moved to southern California --- and am still looking for good, large-sized bagels. I used to live in Oak Park, CA - and they have a Western Bagel, which is excellent - but not convenient for me now.

I buy bagels at Costco --- they're quite good - but I miss going to a bagel bakery with lots more choices.

I also miss those delicious New York BIALIES!!!!!

@kivah 

Ess-a and H&H ship. 

Goldbelly is used by a lot of NYC companies. I don't know how reliable they are, but shipping's free for a lot of things. 

Respected Contributor

We had a great vagelry not far from home in suburban St. Louis. Oh, the aromas! Oh, the pleasure of waiting a fresh warm bagel. 

Contributor

I had the best bagels in Montreal a few years back.

Honored Contributor

I would be smiling too!  I love bagels and have since I was a young girl.  I remember making sandwiches with the bagels, ham , cheese, tuna fish peanut butter and jelly and just about anything you could put on two pieces of bread except I used bagels.  Many people would question my taste because bagels with lox or cream cheese was the norm. 

When the bagel craze came and people were eating bagels with whatever they liked , I wish I had known what I always did would become so big!!!!!

I am fortunate in that I live in an area where I can buy the best bagels and I am fussy, I love fresh crispy on the outside bagels and always on a quest to find the best!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@kivah - I grew up in South Jersey.  My grandfather (Zaeda) was a baker and owned his own bakery.  He made the best bagels, rye and pumpernickel breads, not to mention the doughnuts and pastries.  When we moved to So. Cal., we lived in an area with a lot of Jewish bakeries and their bagel were very good.  We live in Ventura county now and there are no bakeries here anymore.

Western Bagel in T.O. is okay but too far to drive for just bagels.

Costco bagels are good, but they need more variety.  I worked in Agoura Hills for many years - close to Oak Park.

Respected Contributor

Snacking ain't what it was.

Miss those bagels stores.

Miss those knish stores.

Miss the real deli's.

Miss a real pretzel.