Trusted Contributor

Re: I want to learn to play the Harmonica----seriously!

I was hoping someone that knows how to play the harmonica would respond. :/

Trusted Contributor

My late DH played. He learned as a teenager. Never knew how to read music-it was all by ear. He had harmonicas in every key, even knew how to repair them. Check the Hohner FB page. People were always so surprised when he played. He even blew Taps and Amazing Grace at a funeral.

Super Contributor

I bought a harmonica that came with a DVD of lessons. I fiddled around with it for a while, but then put it in a drawer and forgot about it. You have given me the spark to look for it now. I was surprised to discover that breathing in gave one tone and breathing out gave another, and the tongue over the holes changed notes. It takes a certain knack, but didn't seem that hard if you're willing to practice....which I didn't do much before I lost interest. Who knows, it may be in my future once again. LOL. I forgot to mention, that I sort of mastered Swanee River.

Respected Contributor

Me, too! I found a harmonica in the toy drawer at home when I was little - it was probably my brother's. I picked it up and huffed and puffed, and thought what I just "played" sounded exactly like "If I Were a Rich Man" lol All these years later I still think about really learning to play.
Honored Contributor

No one, NO ONE is "too old" to play the harmonica. It's a beautiful instrument! If there is a school of Irish music anywhere near you, see if they have a teacher, or can recommend one.
Respected Contributor

I think music of any kind is good..........I got a tribal flute about nine or ten months ago and I love playing it................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor

On 3/15/2015 raven-blackbird said:

I think music of any kind is good..........I got a tribal flute about nine or ten months ago and I love playing it................................raven

Good for you, Raven!

You all have given me a little more incentive to learn. Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

I found I enjoyed taking piano lessons and practicing far more when I was an adult.

As I child, I was always afraid I'd be scolded by my teacher for not practicing enough. It was as if piano lessons were a chore or worse still, a punishment..

As an adult, I found practicing was relaxing and therapeutic.

In addition, my piano teacher was half my age. He was hardly going to scold the person giving him a big, fat check every week.

Honored Contributor

Knowing how to play a musical instrument can be very relaxing and also very satisfying. I do not think a person is never too old to learn to play a musical instrument, at a certain age I think the choices might be narrowed down a bit, but still there are plenty out there that are just wanting to be played.I personally can play the trumpet or pretty much any three valve brass instrument, I can also play the piano, keyboard, and also strum a little bit on an Electric acoustic guitar and a little bit on a steel guitar. I find them all to be satisfying and relaxing. Sue98, if you really want to learn, you can find a way. Wish I could help you more with the Harmonica, but I tried a few times and for me it just wasn't meant to be, so I moved on to the guitars.
hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

My dad played the harmonica and I loved listening to him when I was a child. He is no longer with us, but I have his three harmonicas. They're vintage with beautiful elaborate scroll work on the silver plates. Having them and now playing them makes me feel very close to him.

However, I never gave it a thought to play them until a few years ago when I began recording songs myself. Since I love the Beatles and have recorded a bunch of their songs, I felt it was absolutely imperative to learn to play the harmonica parts in their songs like "Love Me Do", "Please Please Me", "Little Child." They're not terribly complicated to play if you play by ear like I do. I really get a kick out of being able to do this at all. {#emotions_dlg.blush} I'd love to learn how to play serious blues-y harmonica. One of these days...

There are some decent videos on-line that might be of help. It's been a while since I looked at them myself, but you should definitely go for it!