Honored Contributor

Re: I want to drive a car, not an ipad

I like technology and all, but I was just thinking about this the other day.  My car is pretty old now, although it's in near perfect condition and I've only put less than 50k miles on it, since I purchased it new.

I'm glad that, unless something crazy happens, I'm on my last car because I'd probably have to take a course to drive the new ones!  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I agree. I have the same CRV and love it, even with all the bells and whistles. I don't use a lot of them but I really like the new safety features. That's why I bought it.
Honored Contributor

Was out with my youngest earlier and realized a few things regarding the 2017 Camry we bought our son:

* it has the back up camera which I DO like but depending on the time of day, the sun blocks your ability to see through the camera so...

* Auto seats. The driver has the ability to go up, down, backwards, forwards, tilt up or down. That's great but the passenger side has nothing to offer (other than manually moving it forward or back). When did they set the pitch of these seats so high? I fee like I"m falling backwards so I adjust the back of the seat but now it feels as if my knees are in my chest. Needless to say, as a front seat passenger, this car stinks for me.

* Navigation system. Love and hate this thing. It has been great for going somewhere we're not sure of and has helped our son figure out where he's going when it comes to job interviews/trips, friends house. HOWEVER, the navigation system has an optional voice and we could not figure out how to get rid of it. So, we're driving one way and the voice it telling use how to go somewhere else. Turning on the radio didn't help as we thought the radio would take over the nav system. It didn't. So we had her voice, the radio and the wrong directions all at the same time. 

Pulled over, took out the book and spent a half hour figuring out how to turn off the voice. The way it's designed is the MOST illogical way imaginable. That's what I hate about some of these extra gizmo's; instead of making things EASIER it is often more difficult and more time consuming.

Contributor

Went from an SUV in 2013 back to a car with great gas mileage and durability; got a new 2013 Civic EX 2 dr coupe - I can go on long trips on a tank of 10.3 gallons; I use my garmin for my road map that I have had for 12 years with lifetime map updates; never a problem with it; I drive but mainly highway miles for trips my car is 5 1.2 years old 22,000 miles withconsole backup camera; the usual cd etc and phone that shows who is calling on dash camera and answer or call off steering wheel hands free; didn't want bells or whistles or anything to have to pay monthly fees.  I have my i pod with music from my fav cd's that I can plug in and listen to and not interested in anything else.  Retired and plan on this being my last car - all I need for transportation!

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I want to drive a car, not an iPad. I’ve been looking at new and almost new cars. I get the feeling that these cars have a million settings that I’ll never use. Sync this, apps, choose the settings...all this on a screen. I’m a high-tech kinda girl, but the sheer amount of these on screen settings in a Honda Accord, 2017 or 2018, is over kill. How do you feel about this? If you have a newer car; are you using all these tech features?

I have a 2016 Toyota Highlander that has everything in it.  I don't know what half the stuff does, still haven't used the DVD player.  My husband gets so frustrated with me because I'm no a tech person and not only is that his profession but he's really into cars.  Before my Highlander I had a minivan.  RIght before I sold it, I found out that the button not only open the back but closed it too.  I was doing it manually for 11  years.

Trusted Contributor

I long for the days when I am not told that a sensor needs to be fixed and the vehicle is out of warranty and that I must fix it or it won't pass the smog test.  I long for the days when my electronic windows don't suddenly drop off the track without warning and won't go back up due to some malfunction that is expensive to fix but must if you want to continue using your a/c and secure your vehicle.  I long for the days when my vehicle didn't have a computer brain and I now have to worry about not just malfunction but someone hacking into it.