Esteemed Contributor

Re: I want to delete my Proboard account

@Mindy D wrote:

@Sage04 @I'm bringing this up because the Proboards has a "Terms of Service" page. See for yourself. On this page, you can read where it says that members could receive emails from other members. This might never occur, but they have the right to have it happen according to their Terms of Service. 

@Mindy D  You can go into your settings & make your email address private. No one will have access except the moderators, period. Enough with the fake information & drama.

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Sage04 @I'm bringing this up because the Proboards has a "Terms of Service" page. See for yourself. On this page, you can read where it says that members could receive emails from other members. This might never occur, but they have the right to have it happen according to their Terms of Service. 

It does say "could". But, really, what's the big deal? If I receive an email from another member, I can just add it to my spam list if I don't want it. Easy, peasy.

@Mindy D , if you have your E-mail set to hidden in your profile settings, the other members won't be able to E-mail you because they can't see it, only the moderators could do that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D  I read it last week, so I decided not to use any of my real email addresses. I signed up and deleted my account because it was not for me.

Would you feel better getting a new email address that does not include your name?  I think that members can receive emails from members only if you gave them your email address. Maybe someone you got along with and you wanted to stay in touch.

You can always stay here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I wondered why so many were so quick to jump to this Proboards thing when there was no rush.  This board wasn't going to close for a whole month.  Why the rush?  I'm sure someone will tell you how to delete it.  

@chrystaltree Q is going to keep them open, at least for awhile and now no one wants to post here. 

I've found all of this rather odd myself.  

Respected Contributor

Good grief. Either post here, post there, post wherever you want, or don't post at all. 

Frequent Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D  You can go into your settings & make your email address private. No one will have access except the moderators, period. Enough with the fake information & drama.

It's hardly "fake information" given that the exact reference to the proboard TOS is provided.  It may not be an issue to you, but obviously it is for others.  One persons drama is another persons precautions and diligence.

Also, having been an IT person for 20 of my 30 year career prior to retiring, I it makes the hair on my neck standup when people claim that moderators can't see this or that or do this or that.  With the right access rights, which a board developer and lead administrator would have, and enough knowledge and tools, they have access to everything - even private messages.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NanaFrost 

And I've been a programmer/systems analyst since the early 80's. Having access to information and actually accessing it are two different things entirely.  But I do have to agree the information isn't false nor fake.

Frequent Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@NanaFrost 

And I've been a programmer/systems analyst since the early 80's. Having access to information and actually accessing it are two different things entirely.  But I do have to agree the information isn't false nor fake.

Absolutely agree, and I'm not saying anyone is accessing.  Simply stating the reality.  I've seen horrible consequences when people have been too trusting.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Thank You for the information regarding how to close my acct. on Proboards. Yes, I closed my acct. and  I saved the address, but there just seems to be so much conflict and things to keep remembering with 2 accounts. I am staying here since I feel more comfortable on the Q. forum. I am trying to look at the saving of the Q forums/blogs as long term, but if it isn't then that is their right. I am not going to get all upset about it. Yes, I will miss my friends from these boards, but nothing lasts forever I guess. I am just happy that the Q didn't go ahead with the shut down  I want to look at it as the glass is half full, not half empty.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I’ve never gotten email from Proboards or an increase in junk email.

Ask me how many emails I get daily from QVC?😁🤣