Respected Contributor

I've been in virtual Kindergarten for 3 weeks now !

I'm hanging in there and my grandson is doing very well and is excited about learning . Hats off to the teacher who continues to be patient with children interupting her teaching with questions. She has had to mute a few kids on occasion so she could give instructions on the next project but overall things are going well.  So I'm asking for opinions on one problem that continues to occur. One child in the zoom class can actually be seen fully dressed but lying across her bed, rolling from side to side on occasion. Does anyone think this is appropriate ? I don't.  I sit right next to my grandson out of vision of the class and other parents are also sitting out of view but we can see all of the  children on zoom and help our  children as needed to keep them focused on the teacher and what they are learning.  I just don't understand what some parents are thinking, this is still school !

Valued Contributor

Re: I've been in virtual Kindergarten for 3 weeks now !

@Goodie2shoes bless his heart.  some children are better able to sit still.  your grandson is lucky to have your attention.  this dear boy's circumstances may not be so fortunate. 

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   That sounds like a situation the teacher will have to address with the parent.  For sure, there's nothing you can do about it.  Sounds like the child has poor supervision.  Parent may be trying to work from home and can't give full attention. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@mizreewrote: bless his heart. some children are better able to sit still. your grandson is lucky to have your attention. this dear boy's circumstances may not be so fortunate. 

I understand this is a problem for some and my daughter is very fortunate that I am able to be there for her and my grandson. She continues working from home with a stressful job so I have no problem helping out since I am retired. I just hope things will change for this child because kindergarten is very important for children to learn the basics.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with others who say this little guy may have trouble sitting still, I mean they are 5🤷🏻‍♀️ and yes, mom could be trying to work from home.

Here's the deal. My grandaughter had not been in a class for a year and a half. Shes 8. My nurse daughter wound her work schedule around it, but there were days during the week that she just had to make a living and go to work. So she asked me to be with her. I went to her house because she set her up before I got there. Mind you I still work FT so I took those days as a vacation day. I was lost and wanted to go upstairs and roll around on the bed! I don't know how any kid could pay attention. My Grdaughter got used to it because she had to, but dang I didn't have patience with it so I can't imagine an active kindergartner trying to stay focused.  She's back in classroom, week 2 and we all got our fingers, toes and eyeballs crossed that it continues.

Honored Contributor

Just sad what is happening in education.  The young ones who have family that are available to step in and monitor as very lucky....many are not.  My respect goes out to those who are able and willing to step up.