Honored Contributor

Re: I've been binge watching Hoarders

I totally understand.  I get, from  psychological standpoint, their need to hoard 'things'.   But I'll never get when there are tons of absolute filth and garbage.   The ones with used diapers piled up to the sky - what the heck?

It must be a combination of psychological issues or maybe just the part about it with filth and trash is just laziness.  I'm not sure.

Don't even get me started on the ones who are animal hoarders.  For them I feel nothing but anger.   Fine, if you want to live your live that way.  Well, not really fine because you bring bugs and vermin into the rest of the neighborhood.  But if you are going to mal-treat animals in that way I'd rather see you in jail.

Esteemed Contributor

For me, CLEANLINESS is the issue. If you want to collect 500 model cars (or whatever), that fine as long as you have them stored neatly. If you have a lot of "stuff," but your home is clean, orderly, and not a health risk, then to me, that isn't hoarding........what bothers me is when there is FILTH, bugs running all over, non-working toilets, and the like.

HOW can anyone live like that?  UGH.

What bothers me is when the hoarder has children and the kids have to live in that filth.

I think one of the grossest episodes was the man whose home was overrun by RATS. He considered them "pets." ***shiver***

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I totally understand.  I get, from  psychological standpoint, their need to hoard 'things'.   But I'll never get when there are tons of absolute filth and garbage.   The ones with used diapers piled up to the sky - what the heck?

It must be a combination of psychological issues or maybe just the part about it with filth and trash is just laziness.  I'm not sure.

Don't even get me started on the ones who are animal hoarders.  For them I feel nothing but anger.   Fine, if you want to live your live that way.  Well, not really fine because you bring bugs and vermin into the rest of the neighborhood.  But if you are going to mal-treat animals in that way I'd rather see you in jail.

I agree with this. Sometimes it simply is laziness. 

Honored Contributor

I once saw an episode where a woman had a dead cat, underneath all of her filth in the living room-kid you not! A dead cat! I will watch maybe 2 or 3 episodes a year, because I am a clean fanatic and can hardly watch that filth and clutter......I have a hard time with the ones that have non-working toilets and stuff cluttered up to the sky in their showers, so you know they aren't showering.........Unbelievable........I could never be one of the people who come in and start helping throw things away, I would be afraid of what might be under all of that stuff.....I feel so bad for the people though-they just don't seem to understand what is going on and why they can't just continue living like that.......Sad.....Very Sad........   

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

The garbage is hard to understand. I always yell...Pick up a garbage bag!! I can't imagine drinking a drink and tossing the container on the floor.

or the human and animal feces all over. This one lady would just poop all over the house. No diaper, nothing, just did it on top of the junk. It made me physically ill. 

I wouldn't have wanted the job of cleaning that no matter what the pay.

Valued Contributor

I remember an episode where, when clean-up started for a hoarding married couple, they found the remains of their dead cat behind a bureau - the poor thing had been missing for 2 years.  The couple was heartbroken and cried in each other's arms.  If I recall correctly, that shocked them into realizing the horror of their situation.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

For me, CLEANLINESS is the issue. If you want to collect 500 model cars (or whatever), that fine as long as you have them stored neatly. If you have a lot of "stuff," but your home is clean, orderly, and not a health risk, then to me, that isn't hoarding........what bothers me is when there is FILTH, bugs running all over, non-working toilets, and the like.

HOW can anyone live like that?  UGH.

@YorkieonmyPillow - I've always thought of "hoarding" like that too. I've never seen the show, but I've read articles about hoarders. To me, the prime example of hoarders is "Big Edie" and "Little Edie," Jacqueline Kennedy Onasssis' aunt and cousin who lived in Grey Gables. They got to the point where they threw nothing away. I have a lot of things, but my house is clean. I do throw things away, just not family antiques. If my children don't want to take them when they get their own homes then I will sell/donate them! 
Hoarding to me is when no one can walk through your house and you are putting others in danger. You leave unwashed dishes and trash everywhere and never clean up after your pets. You never put anything away. At least this is how I've always understood it. 

Respected Contributor

@catlover, you have to be honest with yourself when it comes to that.  You have to be "in the moment"---this is who I am right now and these are the clothes I wear "right now".  Have you ever lost 20, 30, 50 pounds so that those clothes did fit?  Are you actually working toward that goal?  I'm not trying to be antagonistic--you have to be real.  If you are working toward that--great!  It is a hard thing to do!  But if you are on the I'll do it someday--that's when you have to get real.  I have made peace with the thought of never being a size 6 or 8 again.  As for shoes--I'm a shoe a holic myself, but I did get rid of about 50 pair. They were shoes that I had never worn or I even forgot I had. If you have those in your closet, they can go.  If you can honestly say you wear every single pair in your closet, then you can keep them without a second thought.

Like I said, it isn't easy and you have to be ready to make good decisions, not just holding onto it because it's yours.  The organizer told me, think of it that you are providing someone else the opportunity to love something you are only so so about.

Respected Contributor

Mental illness is being exploited for profit. I find that as disturbing as the idea of broadcasting this type of show for ratings.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom  That's the way I see it, too. As long as your home is clean, and so forth, then I don't consider that sort of "collecting" an issue.

BTW, I was watching an interview with Celine Dion yesterday and she said she has nearly ONE THOUSAND pairs of shoes!!!

However, I imagine they're all sorted and "hermetically-sealed" in containers, LOL.....