Honored Contributor

I've been binge watching Hoarders

I can understand the "collecting" aspect....it's when they stop throwing out garbage which leads to rats and mice and bugs................

It also makes me curtail acumulating and buying more things I simply do not need.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Re: I've been binge watching Hoarders

Those people really need psychological help and an intervention.

My husband is junky too. Ought to see our pole barn he doesn't pitch any thing "we may need it down the road".   Yeah, right.

Honored Contributor

I catch this show every once in a while.  I don't think I could watch it on a regular basis; I find it too disturbing.

Honored Contributor

I can only watch a few episodes at a time, or I get the "creepy crawlies."

Many of them have been affected by what I think of the "Great Depression" mentality, thinking that something might be useful "someday" for something else.  It can be something like rubber bands, caps to two liter soda bottles, plastic bags, used take out containers, etc.

My friend spent her college years living with her grandmother, and she used to do things like rinse/dry Ziploc bags for reuse, reusing foil, etc.

I think we are less likely to see this occur with Millenials, because they are used to things breaking/wearing out quickly. They do not make 30 year washers/dryers anymore, and things become outdated/non-functional quickly.

Honored Contributor

I cannot watch Hoarders.  The bugs are everywhere and it is gross.  i am not sure if these people can use their toilets, tubs and sinks.  Enjoy yourself but this is not for me.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

If you watch the show consistently,

there's a common theme for the hoard....

it's usually because of a death in the family or major personal tragedy.  

Regardless of the age of the hoarder. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I don't watch it too often, but I have not seen any "young" people on there as the hoarder, but as children of the hoarder.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's a coincidence that you mentioned this.

I was flipping past this last night and there was a man speaking about his mother -- the hoarder -- he was crying.

He was talking about how, as a child, his mother had taken him to the store, made him pick out a chain, then took him home and chained him to the bed.  They had her speaking saying he had been a difficult child.  There were 3 children.

Honestly, I felt sick, but left it on a few more minutes.  It was heart wrenching.  He was now, as an adult, talking about helping her.  All three children spoke of abuse as children.  She was a hoarder then.

Mother was now just a helpless old woman, but yet, I left the show hating her, feeling only mild compassion.  She spoke of what she had done as if it were logical and normal.

I know these people need help, but hearing the story from the children was heart breaking.

Respected Contributor

A few years ago, they had a child hoarder.  It was a really good episode and it really led to an understanding that it is a psychological issue.

I am not a horder, but I have a tendency to have TOO much stuff.  This summer, I've been working with a professional organizer and have been able to pare down.  Not as much as I would like, but enough that I'm not going crazy with stuff in my house.  The amount of storage containers (kitchen) that I got rid of was insane.  I kept saying Why do I have so much of this?  I do freeze meals, but the containers I had went WAYYYY beyond that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hoarders and My 600 Pound Life are train wrecks we can't look away from. TLC is exploiting their sickness and the participants are allowing it. I did see a fairly young handsome man horder. He was dating a flight attendant and when he showed her his house, she ran the other way.