Honored Contributor

Re: I've always thought men are smarter.

I have never thought men are smarter than women.

Also, I have always thought the most intelligent people recognize how much they don't know in relation to all there is to know.  They don't think themselves to be as intelligent as they are.

Then you have the braggarts who think they very smart and love to tell you how smart they are.  Generally they are the dumbest of all.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

When I moved into my brand new house almost 20 yrs ago - I met my neighbor who lived directly across the street. The first thing she said was that she had 7 college degrees. Since I only took a few classes at college and didn't consider myself to be that smart -- I was in awe of her.

We were friends for 15 yrs - and I noticed that in some areas - I'm a LOT SMARTER than she will ever be.

I realized that I'm very good at figuring things out --- I realized that I'm a very good shopper (mostly on-line) -- I realized that if I had a problem or someone told me about their problems, I could resolve it.

In the past I rented out rooms to very smart males - 25 to 40 yrs old - all educated. That's when I also realized that they're very smart in school and work --- and when they came home, they didn't even know how to wash a dish -- and were very naive about life in general.

I taught many of them things - because I knew someone would take advantage of them in the future - and they were grateful for my help.

I'm not good at fixing things or putting batteries in my smoke alarms --- so I call a male to help me. 

I just turned 80 yrs young --- and have lots of experiences - and I'm also proud of myself that I was able to get thru life unscathed -- even though I had MANY BUMPS in the road.

I agree, @kivah. When you know your strengths, especially from experience and from BUMPS in the road, it makes you so much more naturally confident. Thank you for sharing some of the lessons you've earned.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Nurturance, genetics, opportunities and luck all play into how "smart" someone becomes or develops from a very early age.

Intelligence is so variable.  I think children's intelligence is not nurtured enough.  I wish they all had mentors to help them develop their innate curiosity and love of learning in depth what excites their intellect.  Maybe there would be fewer twenty-somethings growing older not knowing much about anything and never picking up a book.

I enjoy learning.  Books mattered in my childhood home.  I have a myriad of details about the world and people in my head but I lack fast recall. I'd need a slow motion version of Jeopardy! to last very long.  Anything more than basic math turns my brain to mush.  I drink up big-picture stuff like philosphy, the universe, and religious thought, but small detail work makes me impatient.  I'm usually reading three books at any one time, almost always about history, science or politics. 

Women could run the world as good or as badly as men have, given the same opportunities while keeping men in check as they did females, maybe better.  It would be a hoot to find out.

Can I just say, @Free2be, I love how thoughtful you always are. Not just kind, but a deep thinker as well. I often smile when reading your posts. You're one of those people who often leaves others a little better off or a little happier than you found them. I admire people like that. Thank you.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie 

I was replying to the poster who said she thought men were better drivers than women.

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I definitely do not agree.  Many men often lack basic common sense though which cancels out smartness!  At one time men were considered to be smarter and maybe they were since  they married and had their wives buy into the myth that men were smarter and women should cater to them!!  Thankfully women evolved and realized they could think for themselves and earn their own money!

@Pook 

"Evolved"??     Women had to fight for it every step of the way.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Men still get paid higher salaries than women, so I guess they must be smarter.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you mean they are smarter than women, I disagree.  There are a lot of smart men, but there are also a lot of smart women.  To name two women that I am familiar with, there is Katherine Johnson, who was an African-American NASA math wiz.  And Grace Murray Hopper, who invented the COBOL programming language.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain  Oh my, I feel humbled by your kind words.  Thank you. 

As to the post about men being better drivers (I missed it but saw a comment about it), DH much prefers I do all the driving because he's the first one to say he doesn't drive as well.  His spacial judgments aren't as keen and he simply makes unwise driving decisions.  Either he's right or he's smarter enough to have figured out how to kick back and enjoy the ride!  LOL  If he tries to direct me, I usually have to tell him I'm driving, I know what I'm doing, then he sees why I made the turn or whatever and ends up saying "I'm sorry, you were right, I see now." 

Men sometimes have a habit of assuming they know what they don't know.  Of course, women never do that.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

@Pook wrote:

I definitely do not agree.  Many men often lack basic common sense though which cancels out smartness!  At one time men were considered to be smarter and maybe they were since  they married and had their wives buy into the myth that men were smarter and women should cater to them!!  Thankfully women evolved and realized they could think for themselves and earn their own money!

@Pook 

"Evolved"??     Women had to fight for it every step of the way.

@DottieBlue  Evolved as in enough women were finally willing to fight to show equality!!!!

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue .............oops sorry.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)