Honored Contributor

Re: I've always thought men are smarter.

I don't prejudge people on gender or race.  

Respected Contributor

I've always thought dogs are smarter. IMHO.

Respected Contributor

Of course I disagree, and, yes, it does upset me. It should upset you too if you care about equality. So if your friend, spouse, community leader, or boss said this, it wouldn't upset you? I find that very hard to believe. It is this entrenched belief that men are smarter that keeps women from getting ahead at work and into leadership positions.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

there may be a few smart men--but I have a box of rocks that are smarter than most-------

Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain I don't believe in sweeping statements, so when I hear one, I just smile and go "ok".

I've met smart and dumb people from every walk of life. For ME, the sexiest thing about a man is his intelligence. That said, talking down to a person is my #1 turnoff.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

men sometimes need a little help -

guide for men.jpg

Honored Contributor

Well I know Melanie Wilkes and Pittypat Hamilton thought so!

Like everything else, it depends on the person, and not on their gender. Easy peasy.

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue Last  I recall,  car insurance rates are higher for males ages 25 or 26 and under. May have changed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom wrote:

Of course I disagree, and, yes, it does upset me. It should upset you too if you care about equality. So if your friend, spouse, community leader, or boss said this, it wouldn't upset you? I find that very hard to believe. It is this entrenched belief that men are smarter that keeps women from getting ahead at work and into leadership positions.

@JJsMom I've never heard anyone say it. If someone did I would think they must be joking and treat it as such. If they insisted they meant it, I would re-evaluate my estimation of the person and act accordingly. I would not give them any opportunities to act on their views and would attempt to thwart them, provided such a thing was in my power.

I think there are still obstacles to equality to overcome for women (and many others) in our country and the whole world. But what's really great is that we are winning. And we will keep winning. Inch by inch. It's a long fight, but we've come so far already. Look at how many responses to this post are just laughing at the idea that men could be smarter overall. Human nature prefers power and comfort, but it also prefers fairness. I believe that.

I sense that your words are very sincere, and not intended to promote some angle. So I am sorry that my post upset you. I took that risk when I posted it, so I own that I hurt your feelings and I apologize for that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

When I moved into my brand new house almost 20 yrs ago - I met my neighbor who lived directly across the street. The first thing she said was that she had 7 college degrees. Since I only took a few classes at college and didn't consider myself to be that smart -- I was in awe of her.

We were friends for 15 yrs - and I noticed that in some areas - I'm a LOT SMARTER than she will ever be.

I realized that I'm very good at figuring things out --- I realized that I'm a very good shopper (mostly on-line) -- I realized that if I had a problem or someone told me about their problems, I could resolve it.

In the past I rented out rooms to very smart males - 25 to 40 yrs old - all educated. That's when I also realized that they're very smart in school and work --- and when they came home, they didn't even know how to wash a dish -- and were very naive about life in general.

I taught many of them things - because I knew someone would take advantage of them in the future - and they were grateful for my help.

I'm not good at fixing things or putting batteries in my smoke alarms --- so I call a male to help me. 

I just turned 80 yrs young --- and have lots of experiences - and I'm also proud of myself that I was able to get thru life unscathed -- even though I had MANY BUMPS in the road.