Trusted Contributor

Re: I've always thought men are smarter.

@GenXmuse wrote:

Wow! Are we really doing this?

Best no, smartest answer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Numerous IQ tests prove that to be false.

There were a few IQ tests long ago that showed women were less intelligent by 1 - 5 points in the Bell Curve; nothing that would be noticed by anyone, however, since then, it's been disproven.

However, it was noted, generally men are better at math.  Women better at verbal skills.  However, there are some women equally as good as and better in math than men.  

I believe everyone attending school in the U.S. school system took an IQ test.  My school district didn't tell us what kind of test we were taking because they didn't want us to know our IQ.

You can get it from your high school.  Ask for your high school transcripts.  

Honored Contributor

I'm going to agree with what the fabulous Harry Belafonte ❤  has been singing about this issue for decades:

Man Smart, Woman Smarter

Valued Contributor

Of course we can't generalize about intelligence. However I notice certain traits in the dogs I've had over my lifetime, and I have seen distinct and repetitive traits in female and male dogs. I have discussed this with other dog owners who generally concur. Female dogs are usually smarter, more nimble, more moody, more aloof, more cunning. Male dogs are usually more affectionate, more "dopey", more gullible, more attached, more loyal. It may just be the breeds I've owned, but these traits have been pretty consistent between male and female.

Honored Contributor

I don't think women are smarter than men. I think it evens out.

I do think cats are smarter than dogs though. They've tested dogs' intelligence and I believe they found poodles were the smartest.

But cats are still smarter. Whenever they try to test cats' intelligence the cats just blow it off and refuse to be studied. They recognize the whole endeavor as BS.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I grew up seeing men in every conceivable leadership role. I never believed they were smarter than women; they certainly weren't great communicators. I had a good example as mom was valedictorian of her high school class and she read, kept informed and used reason. I thought she was brilliant. My grandmother made things happen at her house and was more clever than my hard-working grandfather. I thought my female teachers were smart. But again, I grew up with only male principals and was conditioned to believe males were leaders. When I was 14 my family visited Israel and outlying countries. I kept seeing women in military jeeps carrying rifles. They were fierce and confident like nothing I'd seen in my own country. Possibilites.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

This is a great topic for a forum discussion. Just look at the diversity of responses! It is interesting to hear others' reactions to this question that people sometimes do discuss in real life. 

Honored Contributor

I consider myself fairly smart and I know I'm smarter than a lot of the men I've met in my life including the three men I married and divorced because they weren't smart enough for me...seriously. They were stupid enough to think I wouldn't know what they were up to. To me that's proof women are the smart ones, not men.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is even.  But men have always had the advantage at the workplace... higher salaires and more opportunities.  I do think it has changed or is changing.  Like to think that anyway since I have four daughters, no sons.  

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  It takes a wise and smart gentleman to admit that!  <grin> 

Money screams; wealth whispers.