Honored Contributor

Re: I've always thought men are smarter.

@Porcelain 

Smarter than? If your answer is the ladies? Guess you ran into different types of men than I. Now I am not referring to "book smart" or education level. I am talking about plain ole "life smart", no contest. Ladies win pert nears every time!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Well, this is all well and good, and I wish you a satisfying wrangle. For me, it comes down to two questions: (1) what yardstick could there be to even measure such a thing; and (2) why would we want to measure such a thing in the first place?

And since neither question is answerable, I'm left with no opinions on the subject of the correlation betwen gender and intelligence at all. Indeed, I would be hard-pressed to come up with an unarguable definition of either "gender" or "intelligence." Oops! Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Gender doesn't enter into it.  I've known both men and women who were extremely intelligent.

On the flip side, I've known both men and women that were dumb as a box of hammers.

I went to school with a girl that was a straight A student, smart as a whip. She was book smart, common sense wise, she couldn't get out of her own way,

Super Contributor

Never thought men were smarter.

Honored Contributor

@KaySD and @noodleann: Very wise.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Agree or disagree with this statement? Upset about it?

Personally I disagree and I am not upset. Some men are smarter about some things, some women are smarter about some things. It's all kind of a wash because different people are smarter about different things in different ways. And some people are just plain not smart and some people are just plain geniuses.

Did you know? They say that Einstein (even though he was a genuine genius) couldn't tie his shoes. So if you can tie your shoes, you've got one over on Einstein.

I think in general some people have their smarts evenly spread out and others have their smarts in distinct, noticeable clumps. And genius can manifest in physical ability as well as mental, emotional, or spiritual ability.

What do you think? Do you consider yourself smart? Does your genius manifest most in the physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual realm?

No, I don't think men are smarter. Of course some people are highly intelligent, some are not.

Thinking about employment and wages, some people are also go getters, what they may lack in intelligence, they make up for in hard work and pure determination. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think men are necessarily smarter. There is book smart and common sense smart. It just depends on the situation.

However, I will say that the ones I see on the golf course in thunderstorms are not so smart, lol.

edited 12/2 -

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

I think men are necessarily smarter. There is book smart and common sense smart. It just depends on the situation.

However, I will say that the ones I see on the golf course in thunderstorms are not so smart, lol.

We've got mostly votes for neither/both/faulty premise, but a couple for the ladies. So I guess it's only fair if the gents get a vote too. Woman Wink

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Women were held back academically for centuries and when that changed (in most cultures) they came out just as smart.  If you have both girls and boys in your family then you would want to send them both to a good college to further their education and be able to lead whether it's for a firm, the nation or their own household. 

In addition, to get a well rounded education you need more than one perspective of the world and in that regard, our educational system is failing and it doesn't matter if you are a female or male.  Sad very sad. 

Valued Contributor

I don't agree and it doesn't make me upset.  It made me laugh.

People are people.  There are smart and dumb in both sexes.