Honored Contributor

I've already seen paczki in the grocery store

What is up with that?  I thought it was eaten on Fat Tues?

Honored Contributor

Re: I've already seen paczki in the grocery store

Easter is early this year, so Shrove Tuesday is February 13, I believe.  Maybe  some folks like to buy early.

Honored Contributor

That's a month early.  If I could eat them, which I can't, I'd rather get them freshly made  @Krimpette

Honored Contributor

I wish I lived near a Polish church where the ladies make paczki, the ones they sell at the grocery store are nothing like I'm used to. I have a a recipe for Wyborne Warszawskie Paczki or Excellent Warsaw Paczki and I may try making my own this year.

Honored Contributor

There is a small Polish town  in my area ,and people go there to buy them. Everyone raves and says how good they are

I have never eaten them ,so I don't know

Honored Contributor

I have only had homemade.  My extended family does buy them and they've told me they're not the same.

My grandmother made them very simple - plain or with raisins; coated with sugar or not.....the best!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

There is a small Polish town  in my area ,and people go there to buy them. Everyone raves and says how good they are

I have never eaten them ,so I don't know

Ahhhh, yes! My BIL stops on his way home from work in the morning and picks them up in Hamtrammck.

The ones at Polish Market are good but there is a Polish parish in Troy that offers them made by their parishoners so I may take a run down to pick them up Cherry!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For a couple of years now, I see them in the stores weeks before Fat Tuesday.  It's paczki "season"   LOL

The real paczki, authentic bakery paxzki, are  usually only made for Fat Tuesday.  The grocery store ones just look like regular jelly donuts to me.

Honored Contributor

Our favorite bakery recently announced that they have them too.  Theirs are a bit different from the typical "jelly donut" type you get at the grocery store.  They also have a small cafe where DH and I like to have breakfast now and then.  We'll be there tomorrow morning!!! 

Respected Contributor

I got excited when I read the title. I love paczki time!