Super Contributor

from constant Covid news/updates and even from Gov. Cuomo.

The last week or two, I watched/listened to All News, All Day.

Without making a conscious decision to *not watch” the news, 

I found myself with other distractions.

Might I suggest others take a break from the updates and headlines

and take a walk around the block...look up at the sky.....trees and birds.

Im sure most folks are already doing this, but for those who haven’t....

(but are able)  take a stroll alone and......just *BE*.

Stay Safe 

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope It does feel good to take a day off and just be in nature, or anywhere we can be us without all the worries.

I'm kind of encouraged to see it is not just me watching the news. It gets to be obssessive but I guess we've never experienced anything like this before and unlike some, I find it comforting to watch the live news.

And yes, it was the same with most of us with 9/11.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Yes, so true!

In fact, every September many cable channels run 9/11 coverage 

and I still watch much of it.....every year.

I noticed that 2-different cable news channels had different 

DEATH/CONFIRMED CASES counts for the US......

.......that’s when I realized I “had a problem”!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

So wish I could.  But I can’t.  A friend had a couple symptoms that were of concern, got a script for “the test.”  Went to one of the drive through test areas at a CT hospital.  That went smoothly.  However, nine days later, still waiting for results.

Person is at home, very careful, and seems quite stable.  It may be or maybe not.  He has a good attitude, saying even if he has the virus, it isn’t a bad case.  But I worry.  I guess his phone calls have revealed they have a record of his test, etc., but tests were sent out of state for determination, and a big backlog.  

Honored Contributor

The only news programs I watch these days is my local news and the PBS News Hour. 

I have been watching some special shows about the pandemic, for example the 'Townhall' shows with Dr. SG and some other ones on non-news channels. 

Honored Contributor

It's extremely important to do such things for your mental and physical health. Any amount helps, even if you can't do the entire day.

As someone who has lived with mental health issues long before this crisis, I have had to do such things anyway. Before this crisis. To protect myself from things and people that were toxic to my mental well being. I had to learn how to manage all of it to take care of myself more.

My fervent hope is that people who were so judgmental about those who live with mental health issues will have gained some empathy and understanding from these times. And will stop using stigmatizing hurtful words. Including on these forums.

I speak out about my issues not for sympathy or attention or any other self serving reason. I do it because I have nothing to be ashamed of, and to do my small part to end the stigma.

There is an even worse mental health crisis going on in this country right now, what will be done about it?

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

I have been doing that since Monday and it has changed my mood back to being more relaxed and enjoying the moment. I'm doing all i can to protect myself.

Of course, while watching other programs on TV, news bits pop up, and I don't mind that. What I am not indulging in is the constant 24/7, not even a solid hour at one time.

I want to know the gist of what is happening, but don't need to know all the details. 

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

So wish I could.  But I can’t.  A friend had a couple symptoms that were of concern, got a script for “the test.”  Went to one of the drive through test areas at a CT hospital.  That went smoothly.  However, nine days later, still waiting for results.

Person is at home, very careful, and seems quite stable.  It may be or maybe not.  He has a good attitude, saying even if he has the virus, it isn’t a bad case.  But I worry.  I guess his phone calls have revealed they have a record of his test, etc., but tests were sent out of state for determination, and a big backlog.  

A friend told me it takes 14 days to get the test results. I didn't realize this. Why so long?

Honored Contributor

I use to watch religiously shows on MSNBC and CNN, I have been staying away from them for the last couple of weeks. There is only so much I can take.

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope     sounds like a great idea! Like a vacation from  STRESS