Honored Contributor

Re: I thought USA would do better in the Olympics....

While it's nice to see the athletes from the USA win, I really enjoy watching the dedicated young people from all countries compete. I think we forget sometimes that it isn't all about us.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1wrote:

While it's nice to see the athletes from the USA win, I really enjoy watching the dedicated young people from all countries compete. I think we forget sometimes that it isn't all about us.

i so agree @QVCkitty1......it is wonderful to watch them all compete.

its life.....sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but hopefully in the end you worked hard, you learned ,and you enjoyed! GO WORLD! Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

They have to give more points for difficulty, even if not perfectly executed. If they didn’t the sport would remain stagnant and every 14 year old skater taking serious lessons could do all the jumps. If there was no envelope to push, the sport would become ho-hum, everyone can do it, big deal.  They have chosen to reward the attempts. I think, though, that they need to think refining and adapting that reward would be in order. There needs to be a compromise in there somewhere. No one wants to see just okay skating but no one wants to see most skaters on their butts either.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I've been disappointed in the showing of the US athletes too.  I know winter sports aren't our speciality but I don't recall a time when the US performed so dismally.

@Moonchilde.  Last night they mentioned an athlete, don't remember who, who'd been living and training in South Korea, so it works both ways.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Even the hosting is bad. Matt Lauer used to head up NBC coverage and it seemed to work better

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1wrote:

I agree.  It's not all about the US.   I enjoy seeing all the competitors.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

I've been disappointed in the showing of the US athletes too.  I know winter sports aren't our speciality but I don't recall a time when the US performed so dismally.

@Moonchilde.  Last night they mentioned an athlete, don't remember who, who'd been living and training in South Korea, so it works both ways.

@Kachina624 I’m sure it happens from time to time, but not as it happens in the US. The athlete you mention might have been living and training in So Korea for a short time, because the Olympics are in So Korea this time. But athletes in many different sports all come to train in the US year after year, regardless of where the Olympics are held.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchildewrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

@Kachina624 I’m sure it happens from time to time, but not as it happens in the US. The athlete you mention might have been living and training in So Korea for a short time, because the Olympics are in So Korea this time. But athletes in many different sports all come to train in the US year after year, regardless of where the Olympics are held.

there are american athletes that hold dual citizenship, so they are eligible to compete for their other country.

it doesnt bother me that other athletes train here. they may not have the facilities or the coaching power in their own countries. for example, it is difficult for the jamaican bobsled teams to train in their own country. at least their being here brings in money/revenue to the USA. it really is no different than companies bringing in foreign workers to their companies......and then they send their earnings back to their home countries.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

@Moonchildewrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

there are american athletes that hold dual citizenship, so they are eligible to compete for their other country.

it doesnt bother me that other athletes train here. they may not have the facilities or the coaching power in their own countries. for example, it is difficult for the jamaican bobsled teams to train in their own country. at least their being here brings in money/revenue to the USA. it really is no different than companies bringing in foreign workers to their companies......and then they send their earnings back to their home countries.

I know all of that, I just don’t feel it should be allowed in the way it is now.  

However you look at it, we make it easier for other countries to win medals, and the thread title deals with disappointment as to why more Americans aren’t medaling. I believe this is a contributory reason.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMacwrote:

@loveschocolate

Which is why I believe the scoring is not fair.  If a skater falls, points should be deducted somewhere!  I wouldn't mind if there was a tie after points are deducted.  If a tie, the 2 skaters should get to do a rematch if a medal is involved.  Or maybe, the judges rescore in case of a tie???

It's just my personal opinion... 

A skater who falls does not deserve a medal no mater how many times he or she spins in the air like an airplane propeller. whistling.gif

You could have an artistic performance without doing jumps at all.  And if not falling were the primary criteria, that's what you'd probably get.

I think there is a place for skill and difficulty as well as artistic skating.