Honored Contributor

Re: I think this is fascinating-math and our brain

I don't have a smart phone or a GPS system, so if I am going some place unfamiliar I need to print the directions out and then print them in reverse to get back home because I can not reverse directions in my head.

Honored Contributor

Hi again @on the bay

It was a public school that was very snobby.  The 3rd grade teacher was incredibly strict, looking back, I don't know how she got away with what she did.  She was as old as the hills and her birth certificate had been lost in the 1906 fire, so no one knew how old she really was.

She used to wait at the bus stop with my mother and me in the mornings and they became friendly, which meant she was harder on me, poor little thing, LOL. I don't think I told my mother about the corporal punishment until years later because I assumed it was normal.

The boys had it easier, they were all in long pants, not bare legs.

Honored Contributor

omg @Noel7. Your story is so funny!Woman LOL LOL!! It was to me anyway. I hope it was meant to be funny because if it wasn't please excuse me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does this happen to anybody?

You may be pretty decent at math but once you are in a restaurant splitting the check with a friend, your brain seems to go flat and the numbers bounce around?  Outside of a restaurant, I am pretty good.  It's very strange.

Majored in geography in college, did really well with geometry and chemistry in high school but algebra II was not appealing.

I've always been mechanically inclined as well.  I can figure out spatial solutions to things - such as a temp fix for my broken shower spray holder.  It has an upright rod and an flexible hose ending with the shower spray head.  The upright connection broke, so the shower head was no longer supported.

I MacGyvered it with a short length of flexible, rubbery band ended with small hooks.  These hooks were held up by binder clips clamped onto the upright rod so the shower head could rest in the curve of the rubbery band.  Worked great.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@on the bay  Love maps of all kinds, esp as a Middle School Social Studies teacher.

I also have discalculia; conceptual Math , actually most Math is beyond me.

I also could read at a college level when I was in 5th grade.

Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach-

I'm laughing because yes!

That does happen to me all the time.

I feel like a 2 year old trying to compute. I'll go over it and over it, here we are on the 2nd 10 minutes and nothing or different figures every time. WTH?!

I'm fine outside the restaurant.

Restaurantitis? 🤔 Who knows!All of a sudden there is no brain at all!

Perhaps it was that lovely glass of wine?🤣 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay Sadly, I don't even have the wine as an excuse.  It's just the weirdest thing!  Woman LOL  Restaurantitis!  That's perfect.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My highschool math teacher called me in one day to discuss my falling grades. 'Mr. Brodie' said to me: "You can do anything if you put your mind to it". Well, I guess I could never put my mind to math. It just was never in my cards. I still count on my fingers and forget about doing the math in my head.rolling eyes.gif

My family was told the same thing until I was dx w/a learning disability.

I tried for years to wrap my head around Math.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't have a smart phone or a GPS system, so if I am going some place unfamiliar I need to print the directions out and then print them in reverse to get back home because I can not reverse directions in my head.

@CelticCrafter-

I can't either! And up until a year ago (when my kids convinced me to get an iphone so I could facetime)

I wrote them down or called my daughters to ask where the heck I was!

But whoever invented the gps-I love him/her! What a genius! I am totally amazed at how wonderful this is.

Even when I don't follow directions and take the wrong turn, it knows where I am!

I should have listened to my family and friends to get this long ago.

Have you ever started turning yourself around like a pretzel trying to figure out how to go back when you haven't written it down?😫

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

My highschool math teacher called me in one day to discuss my falling grades. 'Mr. Brodie' said to me: "You can do anything if you put your mind to it". Well, I guess I could never put my mind to math. It just was never in my cards. I still count on my fingers and forget about doing the math in my head.rolling eyes.gif

My family was told the same thing until I was dx w/a learning disability.

I tried for years to wrap my head around Math.

@maestra

I just want to make sure you know your learning disability isn't about your intelligence, it's about the way our brains are wired.  You probably could be good at math, you just needed a different way of teaching.  You're obviously very intelligent.