Honored Contributor

Re: I think this is fascinating-math and our brain

@novamc1-

Exactly! That's it!Smiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@SeaMaiden-

No, I can't say that I get my left and my right ever mixed up

but I know of people who do.

I do have a bad sense of direction though.

Now I want to ask, are you right handed or left handed? I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I'm left handed and as we ALL know, left-handed people are always right lol!🤣 

But I guess thats a horse of a different color altogether!

@on the bay    I am right handed.  I remember as a child that my Mother also had a poor sense of direction.  I imagine that this is tied to genetics.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay

E8623E58-C209-4B39-9F17-FE746DA10586.jpeg

I taught math too! My forte’s lie in areas that I have USED. I’m fairly good at Chemistry. I “get” calculus right away, then don’t use it and forget it again until a refresher moment.

Started “getting” maps during my career.

Still I have no concept of ie: what furniture will fit in this room? (FORGET THAT)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1-

Oh my goodness-Your chart-

forgeddaboudit!😵-

Isn't that strange?

I'm not good at big spacing either. Like please don't show me floor plans. (or maps!)But I am good with colors and placing things around a room to make it beautiful if I do say so myself!😄

You definitely have a brain that understands a good concept of mathematics!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I always struggled with numbers of any kind and hated arithmetic or any kind of math. Of course I went to a Catholic grade school in the 50's and the nuns had no idea how to teach anything. If you can imagine, our first grade nun only spoke a few words of English, but our Kindergarten teacher spoke our language and taught us all to read. I figure we were pretty smart kids because we actually were not taught anything by the nuns , they taught from the examples in the book. I spent 8 years in that environment and call it surviving a Catholic education.LOL On the other hand my husband is a pretty good mathematician. He worked as one for the FEDS at NSA for 15 years and then we wanted to live in the country so he got his teaching certificate and taught math, not arithmetic for 22 years. Again, he feels kids are wired for math or not, the ones that are will excel and the others just try to get through it. A good teacher will help the kids to get through it, but they are probably not going to choose fields of study that require a lot of math ability. My husband like jokes and gets them, he can read a map and had no problem with chemistry. I get jokes, but don't like them, cannot and don't want to read a map, but would if my life depended on it. Oh, the only reason I passed a stats course in college was because the prof. knew I wasn't going to use it, it was just a requirement for my course of study. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay@blackhole99

I had a student (girl) and she and I mutually enjoyed each other in the classroom. She had a grasp of jokes, humor, English and was definitely bright enough to have excelled in regular math had she had the background. (I taught SPECIAL math)

One day she stood up beside her desk and said “Ms O... I gave up on math the day they decided to mix letters in with numbers!” 

She and I both had many a giggle over that!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Harpa teachers don't teach number relationships. If you have a natural tendency toward doing math you  figure them out yourself.

Respected Contributor

This (retired) mathematics teacher most definitely taught (and emphasized at all levels) number relationships.