Honored Contributor

Re: I think my hubby needs hospice, please help

[ Edited ]

We put my Dad in Hospice yesterday.  We did it from the nursing home he is in.  The family can definitely get the ball rolling.  The nursing home was dragging their feet so we called Hospice.

They told us they could be there to evaluate him that same day.  They got his medical records and talked to us in length.  The next day a nurse was there evaluating him and today the care starts.  I know that Dad..... being in a Nursing Home..... our situation is a bit different than yours...... but Hospice has been amazing.  I would see that whatever you do....do it quickly.  Your husband needs immediate help and relief. They will need your husband's medical records and they will need to talk to his doctor.  Hospice will push it through faster. Medicare and Medicaid will cover everything....at least for us it does. They came to the nursing home and the very next morning Dad has Hospice.

Please know that you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.  It is very difficult. Be as positive as you can around him and take control of the situation for his sake.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Surely you have a hospital closer than NYC!  Call an ambulance and have him taken there ASAP.  What is so difficult about that?  Forget hospice and get him to the hospital.  If he needs hospice he will be directed there later.  Right now if he can't eat or drink, he need emergency medical care.  Do it now.  He won't have to sit in the waiting room. 

@Kachina624 is correct @Ditzydori.  If your husband's condtion is that bad, call 911 and have him taken by ambulance to your local hospital.  If it's time for hospice, they'll start making arrangements.

I don't know that I'd wait until Monday to try calling Sloan again.  It seems like you need to take action now.  I know this is horrible for you.  You're home now and I believe your children are there.  They should be helping you with this.

But, again, call 911 and take him to your local hospital.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in contact with my husbands doctor, he helped me get my husband into a facility,with hospice care.I think you have to forget getting him to new york,a good local hospital,i had to call 911 several times before my husband was moved.You must take over being his wife, the local hospital will get his info from his doctors in NYC, it sounds like what was going on with my husband,do not let him get out of bed  by himself, they fall alot, your husband is in the process of dying,i am so sorry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Call hospice immediately and they will give you all the information .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

dori,

I edited my original advice because I think the advice from posters on this page to just call 911 is the quickest way to get help.

You're staying strong for your husband, which makes you a hero. 

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:
I'm 3 hours from NYC. An ambulance won't work. He has to be driven by car.

@Ditzydori

Even 3 hours away from the hospital, you can still get medical transport (ambulance) to take him.

My brother was in critical condition after a car accident 4 hours away from home and after being in the nearest hospital for a month or so, once his condition stabilized somewhat (but still critical), we had him brought home by ambulance 4 hours away.

I would definitely get him to an ER for hospice evaluation and pain relief somehow.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I'm trying to understand your situation. Did the doctors where you left - who I assume have been caring for your husband - suggest he may need a feeding tube? Did they get in touch with a doctor where you are living now to give them info about this very ill man? If you and your husband have decided no further care will be done - you don't need to take him on a 3 hour car trip to Sloan Kettering but instead I would go to the nearest ER to your home.  

Honored Contributor

Image result for in my thoughts and prayers images

Trusted Contributor

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband.  I would have him taken to the nearest hospital and start the ball rolling regarding hospice from there.  Let them evaluate him to see if he's getting enough nourishment at home.  You may be doing your husband a disservice by handling his condition at home until you can be seen at Sloan.  

Trusted Contributor

I believe Hospice will administer pain meds through IVs.