Valued Contributor

Re: I think my hubby needs hospice, please help

My husband was already in a dementia care facility when he went on Hospice so it was easier for us. His doctor started the process. As someone mentioned, there should be another doctor taking over your doctor's patients while he is gone, and he would be the one to begin the process.  I was so thankful that my DH got Hospice. They are really wonderful and help so much with the cost of supplies and care. So sorry for what you are going through. I hope you will be able to get the help you need.

New Contributor

Have you contacted your husband's Dr. who treated him last and informed him of his decline. Once you have this conversation and express your wishes the Dr. would be able to write an order for Hospice evaluation and treatment. Is Hospice what your husband wants and are you his health care proxy?  You could also do a google search for Hospice    And then contact some of the agencies to get their take on how to proceed. My dad was on Hospice in Florida....Vitas and they were excellent.  You could also contact VNA services and ask them for their opinion on how to proceed as well.  Wishing your husband all the best! 

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't there a hospital where you live that he can be taken to?

There they could give him an i.v. to keep him hydrated, and you could get the ball rolling in the hospice.

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

When a dr. is on vacation, doesn't another dr. take the urgent calls that pertain to his roster of patients while he's gone?

From what I understand, her husband is not yet a patient. He hasn't been seen yet and they don't even have his records.  He just has an appt scheduled at the end of May.

If he's doing so poorly, then he should be seen soon, IMO.  She said she's 3 hours away from NYC, but certainly an ambulance would bring him to a local hospital.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

NYC SUSAN, hubby has been a patient of Sloan for 3 years. We went to Florida in December. And unfortunately, he declined there.  We continued his care in Miami with a dr that knows the Sloan dr very well. I stayed there to have hubby finish the round of treatments. I wanted the records from Miami sent to Sloan. 

My secret hope was that Sloan could save his life. Yes he could go to a local hospital, but that's not what he wants, nor do I and my children. What we are trying to figure out is what to do next with getting hospice and having Sloan Kettering intervene. 

So I guess Monday morning I will once again call Sloan and tell them he needs to be seen asap, and go from there. Hubby is still eating soft things, like eggs, farina, applesauce and drinks glycerna. Not a lot, but something. I'm trying to keep him hydrated as well. 

Hubby is very coherent.  I'm still going to pray for a good outcome. There is always hope. 

So so I now know I need the social worker at Sloan and the doctors recommendation. Thanks for the info. I am so thankful

But Im really heartbroken.

Honored Contributor

It is the patients doctor, who is familiar with his medical condition, who makes the referral to hospice.  There is of course the expectation that the patients condition is terminal.  It's hard to imagine this man has been seen by a doctor and something wasn't done to address his condition.  He certainlyly should be seen in some facility ER now on an emergency basis.   He could be seen at the nearest ER, then transfered if necessary but do it now. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori

Hospice requires a doctor order.  It doesn't have to be an oncologist or someone at Sloan.  Does he have a primary care md closer to where you live?   That is why they are telling your to go to an urgent care center, it takes a doctor's order.

You can call your local Hospice and see what they say. They might have advice of what you can do, ask you specific questions, so that they can give you some specific advice as to how to have a doctor evaluate him and give the order. 

You might also want to talk to them about Hospice....for example you need to be thinking about what Hospice means.  In Hospice, they will do everything to keep him comfortable, but in turn there will be no IVs, feeding tubes, or any type of treatment for the cancer.  I only offer that because you are dealing with so much I don't want to assume you know this and that information takes you by surprise.  Hospice is an incredible and valuable service, but it is an understanding that the end is near and no further treatment is to take place.

I am hoping there is a primary care provider your husband has seen that is in your area and that doc would be willing to sign the order for Hospice.  

Big hugs to you.  I know this has to be an absolutely horrible and challenging time for you.  I am glad your children are there with you and your husband.  I wil certainly keep all of you in my prayers.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Surely you have a hospital closer than NYC!  Call an ambulance and have him taken there ASAP.  What is so difficult about that?  Forget hospice and get him to the hospital.  If he needs hospice he will be directed there later.  Right now if he can't eat or drink, he need emergency medical care.  Do it now.  He won't have to sit in the waiting room. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Pitadakota. THANK YOU. I didn't know that!!  

Respected Contributor

When my DH was very ill, I believe his primary dr. called to set up hospice.

Hospice will send someone out to evaluate your DH.

Good luck and I am so sorry you are going through this.