Trusted Contributor

Re: I think a lot of us are around the same age who

@goldensrbest 

Awwww....yes, it is a hard thing to lose so many people in our lives as we get older.

I am so sorry you feel lonely. I send you big cyber hugs - life IS lonely sometimes. Keep connecting, and keep reaching out. You are not alone.HeartHeart

Honored Contributor

I grew up on the beaches of Southern California in the 50's.  

Honored Contributor

Just want to add:

Assuming you grew up in a loving and supportive family, childhood was simpler because your parents shielded you from many of the realities of life. Even the news media ignored the hardships for many. For those who grew up in less than ideal families, the memories are different. In any case, regardless of the era, there has never been a simple time to live.
Respected Contributor

I was born in 1958 so I was a child in the 60's.  I would not want to pick another time period - those days were great and I miss them and sometimes wish it was the 60's again.  But that is always tempered with the thought that there were plenty of others suffering through the 1960's.  Pleasantville was not Pleasantville for everybody.

Honored Contributor

I would rather be growing up today. I'd get to see so much more of the future. I'd have access to so much more information and opportunity while in school. And my haircuts would be much cuter in pictures.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I was born in 1955....my childhood was good....lots of play, good schools, good parents. I do not know how the  life of child born today  will  differ....with all the technology I really wonder if socialization will be limited....children do not play the same way....no imagination....less reading of books... maybe they will be smarter? 

I imagine it will all work out...but the future is sure going to be different from the 1950's and 1960's.... I would not trade my childhood for anything.  It was a safer world...a simpler world....

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I am glad i grew up in the 50's,60's, glad i had the family i did, i just miss so many people,  i find life very lonely.

@goldensrbest  ❤️❤️❤️

Esteemed Contributor

I'm an early Baby Boomer, born after WW2. My childhood, on the beaches of the Atlantic, was idyllic. Now I see that what I took for granted was not the norm, yet I am grateful for what I had...a great education, wonderful family and friends, and a secure childhood.

Honored Contributor

I had a happy childhood in the 50's and graduated in the late 60's.  Mom was happy being a mother and house wife and Dad was happy being a father and making a living. He loved to golf and mom had friends and used her talents.  They never seemed to be in competition with each other.

I was taught that man wasn't better than woman and woman wasn't better than man and both were made in the image of God.  My mom did not feel oppressed.  She is 90 and she would tell you today she did not feel oppressed. 

It was a different time and I think if the years you were raised in were happy, it's only natural to look at them as some of your best.  I wouldn't want to be raising kids today.  I don't like the way the world is going and I think we are headed for big trouble.

Trusted Contributor

I was born in 1955. Don't have much memory of the '50's. Grew up n the '60's, came of age in the '70's. I think I grew up in one of the most fascinating times in modern history. The times they were a changin'. More women entering the workforce, being able to vote at eighteen, rock n roll, women taking control of their own bodies. I love the era I grew up in. I feel my generation and the generation before mine paved the way for future generations of women to be able to enjoy certain things in life that were not always a given for women. That's why sometimes the expression " Ok Boomer" rubs me the wrong way.