Contributor

Re: I think a lot of us are around the same age who

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY and grew up in the early '50s and graduated HS in 1966.  I wouldn't trade those times.  I had a wonderful childhood thru my HS days.   I still remember ****** and Jane readers!  And maybe whoever remembers them too, may remember the very first few pages by heart!   I know my sister and I both do.  I remember JFK, and even Murray the K and went to all the rock n roll shows downtown Brooklyn, all the NYC discos and the Friday night hangouts in the city and Brooklyn.

I know when I became a court reporter, there were very, very few females.   And  i am still working, whereas many of my friends are long gone.  I wish I could bring back my dad and my grandparents.  I think of them often and wish my kids would have known my grandparents.   I wonder what my kids  feel were their best years......I definitely feel like a dinosaur now, but a happy one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish I was growing up now, the 50's and 60's were the dark ages when it comes to just about everything. The kids today are so lucky to have access to the Internet, anything you really need or want to know you can view or learn on You tube. 

Respected Contributor

If I were growing up in my hometown now, or even any time in the last 20 years, I might be addicted to opioids by the time I was an adult. 

My hometown was a thriving factory town when I grew up there, and I loved it. My parents were not too happy together, but they both were wonderful, generous human beings and great parents:  they are my great luck in life. 

They talked a lot about social change so I was not led to believe that all was well in the 1950s and 1960s.  I was just plain lucky--more in my parents than in being born after WW 2.

I'd like to be born 100 years from now to find out what challenges have been met---for just as in the post-war period, we have so many challenges now.

Super Contributor

I grew up in the 80s and early 90s. I wouldn't change it for the world. I watched a lot of MTV.

Respected Contributor

I am retired and have so many fun memories but living right now is amazing, we can order on line have things delivered same day or in 2 days, grocery go pick it up without leaving the car or have it delivered, smart tv's netflex, prime, hulu any movie you want to watch right there no more cd's, tapes, vcr's we got cell phones know who is calling decide if we want to answer, wow!!! talk on phone in the car. I love it but don't use all of it. It was a big deal if we had pizza delivered to the house. What is going to happen 5-10yrs from now? Just amazed the convenience we have. Wish my parents were alive to see how we live. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ahhh the 80's were the best.  Not only the best music but also the best movies too.  And BIG HAIR and heavy makeup and shoulder pads. And tv shows like Dynasty and Knots Landing. I was in grade school in the 70's but do remember disco music and being jealous of older kids who could go disco dancing. LOL!  I love watching old tv shows like Hazel and Dennis the Menace and sometimes feel transported when watching them.  I wonder what it would have been like back then.  Those times (at least how they are protrayed in these shows) seemed so innocent and sweet.  Woman dressed up every day in stockings and dresses.  Getting dressed up even to go to the supermarket and ride on an airplane.  Wearing bright lipstick and gloves.  Seemed more elegant and mannerly but I'm sure the problems were still there but just in different ways than today's times.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think that the kids of today will be saying the same thing in 40 - 50 years, that "Life was so much simpler in the early 2000's".

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 

I grew up in the 40's-50's-60's.  If I could turn back the clock of time, it would be back to those same decades. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Grew up in the 70s. I am SOOOO glad that we didn't have cell phones or computers!

Respected Contributor

I think the best part of the those decades was that we could live without fear all the time.  Fear of someone harming our children, fear of our identity stolen on the internet, fear of drug induced road rage.........it just goes on.