Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: I think Mr Cherry was a blessing to some poor lady today

It was a cross body bag, and it was laying in the seat of the shopping cart...

Honored Contributor

A good deed and I would hope you got the name of the person to whom the purse was given. Otherwise, you can't be sure that person won't give into temptation a nd remove any cash inside it. Even their name wouldn't insure the woman will get her bag back intact.

It would have been better to contact the woman yourself or at least take it to the police, have them inspect it, and give you a written receipt for the contents.

As it is, you've trusted a stranger with another's purse and personal information and will never know the outcome.

Honored Contributor

He gave it to the manager..If he is untrustworthy, I am sure he will be caught in time. We  didn't have time to go all over the place. We needed to come home..At least it wasn't setting abondoned in a cart in the parking lot

Respected Contributor

When we were at Epcot a few months ago, I found a WALLET under a bench.  I turned it in, but will always wonder about the lady who lost her wallet and how panicked she must have been.,  I just hope they were able to find her before she left the park.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

People do this all the time.  Sometimes in elderly it is dementia onset, I know adults with ADD that do this enough times you'd think they would put up prompts.  Sometimes people are stressed, in a hurry, distracted by something, such as children or a pet...they have their purse, then put it down to do something, and boom...get in the car and take off.

my mom did this at 90 a few times.  She was in the progress of altzheimers, but not diagnosed yet.  Her licence was revoked, PLT and that ended that.  Once she left her purse in cart to unload groceries, she turned around to get cart and purse and this young kid came running, snatched her purse and took off.  He took cash and dumped it later.  Police called her with contents of purse.

what I am saying, is you never know why someone would leave purse.  But I can bet they didn't do it on purpose.

my daughter had purse on trunk of car.  There she was riding down the highway with people honking and pointing.  She finally caught on, stopped and retrieved handbag.  It was a miracle it  fallen off on freeway!

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry, personally I think the title of your thread is inaccurate!

Based on things you've posted about Mr. Cherry over the years the title should be:   Mr Cherry IS a blessing.

No qualifiers needed. Heart

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Thank you @Marp  I think he is. But we have both been blessed by so many people, it makes us both feel good to pay it forward

Respected Contributor

@cherry  Good thing it was him and not someone else!

When I was jogging through a local neighborhood one day, I saw a checkbook laying on the edge of the street.  It never even occurred to me to see how much was in the account.......I just looked at the address, which was just a half block out of my way.  I jogged down there and handed it to the guy who answered the door (I think it was his brother's, so he didn't really care, of course).

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Bless his heart! About 2 years ago I was at Safeway, went to load my stuff in the car and for some reason known only to God (ha ha) I had my wallet OUT. I never do that. I got home and no wallet. I went into panic mode.

Went to the store and 2 employees helped me look all over the parking lot for it. It was on a weekend so I figured I'd give it a day or so before I cancelled my debit and credit cards.

Before I get yelled at, both cards are with the same bank and if there is any fraud I am 100% covered.

I called the store the next day and some wonderful woman had found my wallet in the little top section of the cart and turned it in! Everything was there.

She didn't leave her contact info but I was told she is a regular shopper. I asked the person the lady turned it into to please thank the customer if she was seen again and I was told that they would.

I couldn't believe how stupid I was. I have never taken my wallet out of my purse after leaving a business. Talk about a major brain f**t!!

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I've done that for someone twice.  Once at KMart and once at Lowe's.  I hope someone does the same for me in my times of forgetfulness.  Actually now that I think about it, many years ago I left my wallet in Rite Aide and a young boy turned it in for me.   Good parenting going on there.

My granddaughter found a wallet in the airport and I took her to security to turn it in.

Security made us stand there while they counted the money and listed the contents and made us feel like thieves.  Next time I might just keep moving.

@Scooby Doo    your granddaughter did an admirable thing. Security probably followed their protocol which was to take inventory of everything in the purse when ithey received it. That way if the person showed to claim it, they would have a base list to check it against. Think of it as an insurance policy that no one took anything from the time it was turned in until it was picked up. Not sure why that made you feel like thieves. It shouldn't have.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.