Honored Contributor

Re: I think I might have seen a new fashion trend tonight

@cherrywrote:

I saw something at mass tonight, I haven't seen in decades. We had 2 baptismal parties in church. Everyone ,one in both parties ,were dressed to the nines. All of the ladies had on a dress ,and they ran the gamut (sp) of ages , from young mother to grandmother. They looked just lovely.. Between the 2 families there was probably around 40 people in total

Everyone  of the guys ,wore a suit ,or a sports coat, and a dress pants. There wasn't a blue jean in sight

The little girls were all in dresses , tights and Mary Janes. It was like the clock was turned back 50 years

I laughed to a friend , about not owning a dress ,and  she said she didn't have one either ,we both agreed might be the start of a new trend .

Mind you ,people are always dressed nice,but casual, at our services. I am wondering if the young families are going to  start a different trend?

I think these young families are wonderful, because I'm sure all of the women work, and they are wearing many hats.Yet, they still are  making sure everyone looks picture perfect, when the go to  worship

It might seem like a little thing, but ,I know what it is to  raise a family ,and not to have a lot of spare cash ,at times, nor time to spend on yourself

I think today's women are just smashing. I take my hat off to them.  Good job ladies

@cherry

That sounds wonderful!  I was smiling reading your post and imagining all the women in their beautiful dresses and the little girls in their fine frocks!  I think its just so special when people take the time to really dress so nicely like that.  I am thinking of a very positive influence --- Princiss Kate or Katherine, I should say! She always looks so beautiful, refined, elegant, and yet still young and fresh.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think how people dress for special events and occasions depends on their particular "circle".  I don't mean class.  I mean that some people never did stop dressing the way people did when I grew up for church, baptisms, weddings, showers etc.  I'm always amused when I attend a local church, which we do somethimes when we don't want to drive into the city to go to our family church.  People go to church here in jeans and denim and sneakers and whatever they would wear to go to the mall.  I don't have a problem with that at all but you don't see that in my church.  People still dress up for church.  We still wear our nice clothes and good jewelry to our real church for the Sunday services.   I don't think the trend is toward dressing up more.  I think the trend is still going toward a more casual life style in all areas of our lives.  I think what you saw are people who have just maintained the idea of "dressing up" for things like that.   As for multitasking, I have to smile at that because while women wear many hats and the majority of moms now work fulltime....it doesn't take any more effort, time or money to put your girls in dresses and tights and patent leather shoes than it does to put them in tee, leggings and sneakers.  It's just a matter of personal choice and lifestyle.  

Honored Contributor

It has been my experience at mass that the once a year people stand out like sore thumbs.  They usually show up dressed to the nines for a holiday or event, never to be seen again until the next affair.

Most of the regulars dress casually, but nice.

Honored Contributor

I don't agree @chrystaltree  these children were dressed in clothing, far more expensive, than jeans and sneakers would have been ,and likewise for the parents.

I was so proud of them

Honored Contributor

While I like dresses, finding one for my body type is too much of a chore. I think that's why I gave up on them.  If you are a different size on the top than on the bottom.....it can be a real problem.  With slacks and tops it's just easier. I probably should go back to the drawing board.  Dresses, imo, are so much cooler in the summer but, for me, that would require leg makeup. Panti hose are out. I can't stand them!  I hope this isn't a sign of old age.  I don't want to think I'm old till I hit 100!

Honored Contributor

I rarely visit a Catholic church, but about 3 times a year I go home and visit my elderly aunt who's in church every Sunday, so I'm expected to go. It's a German church and everyone is dressed in their Sunday best, so to speak. That being said, there are very few young people or kids at mass, but I think that's because the parochial schools are no more in that town. No jeans and the women still wear hats or some kind of head covering even though it is no longer required.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99sometimes we attend mass ,in an old  German Catholic church. It is very beautiful, and has never been remodeled. The altar is still the old way, with the priest facing forward, with his back to the congregation

I have never sat in such miserable pews in my life. The are so narrow , it is impossible to be comfortable. I think they did this on purpose ,to keep the men from dozing off