Honored Contributor

Re: I think I might have seen a new fashion trend tonight

Ha, @cherry, a crisis!   Of course, they were such sad and tragic situations, but I used to notice with interest the head coverings the Kennedy women would wear to funeral masses.  I think I've spotted the coverings you mention.

Didn't Jackie wear a black lace mantilla?  And maybe Coretta Scott King too.   Both women, so stoic, and magnificently veiled.... 

Honored Contributor

Jackie put the mantilla on the map for Catholic ladies in the US. They were always worn in Spain and perhaps other parts of Europe, but in the US it was always a hat or scarf

Sometimes, if you had to pop into church for confession, or something, and forgot a scarf ,a kleenex would do in a pinch, but most of us never got caught out without a proper head covering

I certainly made sure anything I wore ,was firmly attached to my head ,after that little faux pas ,of mine

Valued Contributor

I’m sorry but I hate wearing dresses and skirts.  When I was young we had to wear dresses or skirts to school, no pants.    I do believe in dressing appropriately for church events and occasions that call for it.   I opt for dress slacks and a nice blouse or maybe a jacket.  I find I’m often more dressed up than others who may be wearing a dress or skirt.  I can make a pants outfit more “dressed up” with a nice scarf and nice jewelry and a good pair of pumps.

Honored Contributor

If stockings ever become fashionble again, I'll buy a pair and a dress, too, so I can wear that dress on days the temperature and humidity make it sensible. Right now, I don't own either a dress or a skirt.

Honored Contributor

@Kardiwrote:

I’m sorry but I hate wearing dresses and skirts.  When I was young we had to wear dresses or skirts to school, no pants.    I do believe in dressing appropriately for church events and occasions that call for it.   I opt for dress slacks and a nice blouse or maybe a jacket.  I find I’m often more dressed up than others who may be wearing a dress or skirt.  I can make a pants outfit more “dressed up” with a nice scarf and nice jewelry and a good pair of pumps.

@Kardi . I feel exactly the same way.  I could have written your post!

Honored Contributor

I went to a Funeral Mass on Tuesday.  This was my fourth one since December.  Most of the men were wearing suits and all of the women were wearing pants, young and old. I didn’t see one dress or skirt.

i haven’t worn a dress for years, but I was thinking about wearing a skirt to the funeral, but decided on pants because it was very cold and I knew it would be freezing at the cemetery and that the ground would be soft and muddy.  I wore a long wool dress coat, but many women were wearing casual puffer coats.

I am going to a wedding this summer.  I wonder what will be worn then.  I have  seen many pants on women at weddings lately, especially worn by older women.  I think it is because they must wear comfortable shoes which do not look attractive with dresses. 

Many women have foot problems and need to wear tie shoes with support. They have had knee and hip replacements and choose not to take a chance with higher heels or shoes with slippery bottoms.

Personally, I am not a fan of dresses for the most part.  They do not fit me well.  A dressy pant outfit is a much better look on me.

My daughter lives in dressss. She wears them to work and wear them casually all summer long in lieu of shorts...which she hates.  She said they ride up and are too hot.

i am so happy that it is acceptable for women to wear slacks everywhere.  When I went to school, I had to wear dresses.  I legs froze in the winter time.  I had a long walk and my legs were red and burning by the time I got there.

Respected Contributor

It's not going to be a trend. We're too casual--and comfortable!--nowadays.

Respected Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I'm not sure about that. I have been seeing more people wearing a skirt ,or a dress in the communion line, I am also seeing young  children in dresses

It really looks nice

I saw a little girl tonight ,wearing a dress like I used to buy for my daughter. I don't know if any of you remember, polly flinders dresses?

They were sort of gathered at the yoke and were smocked. I saw a sweet little girl, with that style, tonight

I'm Anglican and always dress nicely for church - dress, skirt, or nice pants with a blazer etc.  People are all over the map (and I do NOT judge - am just happy they are there), but confess that I just can't not dress up for church - it's just the way I was raised.  I know it's a new world and that's great, but I still do my own thing.  (And I do like to see others dress nicely too, but whatever.)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm considering getting a dress for the summer months to see if I like it. I do have a couple skirts  in my closet. @Carmie  I got them, because the last time I went to a funeral ,I felt like I wanted to get a bit more dressed up, too. It's odd we both had that thought

I did get a new suit for Easter. We always go to the vigil mass ,and  this year ,  I felt like  wearing a suit. I haven't had one in years and years

I never, say never ,with fashion. Trends come ,and they go ,and not everyone follows them, but I like to have a few things that are current in my closet . Cest La Vie

Honored Contributor

This post reminded me of Easter Sunday.  I am going through pictures and organizing them and I saw one that brought back these memories of dressing up just yesterday.  It was taken outside our home in the 50's on Easter Sunday. My sister and I had on silky frilly dresses and black patent leather shoes.  

I don't wear dresses anymore.  Neither do I wear jeans to church.  I'm somewhere in the middle I guess. At church it is usually a black, gray, or navy pant with a nice blouse or top with a cute pair of black flats.  The last time I wore a dress was about 15 yrs. ago!