Honored Contributor

Re: I think I might have seen a new fashion trend tonight

@KitTkat  I have heard about river baptisms before, but I never knew anyone that was baptised like that. Were you immersed?

I do know when Catholics go on pilgrimage, to the Holy Land, they can be rebaptised ,in the river Jordan, if they wish

It is just done to  commemorate Christs baptism. It's not because the first one was invalid

Trusted Contributor

@cherry

Fully immersed. There were three others following me, so after I dried and changed we sang while the next person got ready. My parents were there as were my grandma's there (My grandpa, my mom's dad, has already passed, and my other grandpa won't set foot in a church) and there were lots of other families from the others there, so it turned out to be a big, and beautiful celebration.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry, she was amazing. Just recently 4 of the 5 siblings attended my Uncles funeral on my Dads side. They were surprised to see us but we told them we were there to pay our respects and to represent daddy. Later that evening my Uncle with tears in his eyes says, my brother and your mom did such a great job with all of you,  they must be beaming with pride looking down at you. I might add my Uncles only daughter was too hung over to attend her own Fathers funeral. Very sad

Honored Contributor

Lot's of families have a guy or gal like your grandpa @KitTkat..It always gives me a laugh, like they think religion might be catching ,so they steer clear of it

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

@qvcfreak  that is so sad. I'm sure your mother is proud, that your family went to see your Uncle off properly. 

Trusted Contributor

@cherry

I'm just grateful I have family that will go to church. I know some people that are the only ones in their family that go.

But since I don't want to steer too far off topic , I think I'll go figure out what to wear to church tomorrow. It's supposed to be sunny and the warmest day so far this year, I'm thinking something pastel and springy. 💐

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@KitTkat  I have heard about river baptisms before, but I never knew anyone that was baptised like that. Were you immersed?

I do know when Catholics go on pilgrimage, to the Holy Land, they can be rebaptised ,in the river Jordan, if they wish

It is just done to  commemorate Christs baptism. It's not because the first one was invalid

I was  baptized...immersed....in a lake at church camp.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We started back to regular church attendance when our son was five, about 12 years ago.  We immediately stuck out in the congregation, as hubbo always wears a suit or sportcoat, tie and pants, I wear a skirt and blouse or sweater, and our son a suit like his Dad's.

We weren't "young parents", by any means, but it's fun to dress for the occasion.  By contrast, most people around us, except a few 'old-school dressers', are/were very casual, which is fine by us.  Some of the most devoted and genuine worshippers are in near-rags, sometimes, and some are dressed up.  Finery or lack-of doesn't seem to correlate with devotion, in my experience. 

But dressing to the best of our ability is our way of showing respect, I guess.  From the beginning, we've gotten lots of positive feedback from congregants of all stripes.  People seem to be especially happy to see our son in his suit and tie.  Since he was tiny, he loves dressing up like Dad, so even though he's a bit of a rascal, people love his conservative Brooks Brothers appearance, ha.

Honored Contributor

WE are still in winter coat weather. I did get a new suit for Easter but ,It is in a winter weight material.  I don't buy many light weight  clothes, because,  we don't have a long summer @KitTkat

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

WE used to have to wear hats to mass @Oznell. When I was a young bride whimsy veils were very popular. I had a black one and wore it to mass

They just sort of set lightly on top of your hair. Everyone wore really bouffant hairdos, and veils didn't crush your hairdo

It must have been a bit windy that day.  All at one ,I touched my hair in mass ,and discovered I wasn't veiled.  I didn't know what to do. I mentioned it to my husband, and he turned ashen, and wanted us to leave at once

I told him it would look worse if we did that, than if we just stuck it out.. What a mess @Oznell