Regular Contributor

Re: I think I found an old best friend on facebook from 40 plus years ago

Good luck, I hope it works! I've also connected with some old friends.

Trusted Contributor

How wonderful! I hope you two reconnect. It's fun to catch up with old friends after decades of being apart--I have done this with several friends, thanks to Facebook.

She should get a notification message to her e-mail associated with her FB account saying she has a message on FB, unless she has turned that setting off.

Honored Contributor

On 4/13/2014 Skylands said:

fyi.............some people aren't interested in contacting old friends/people from the past. Life moves on. Good luckSmiley Happy

ITA....the words ""friends"" and ""lost lost"" or ""40 years ago"" should never be in the same sentence. IMO.

Trusted Contributor

My ""oldest"" FB friend re-reconnect goes back to junior high school...52 years ago. :-)
Super Contributor

On 4/13/2014 sidsmom said:

fyi.............some people aren't interested in contacting old friends/people from the past. Life moves on. Good luckSmiley Happy

ITA....the words ""friends"" and ""lost lost"" or ""40 years ago"" should never be in the same sentence. IMO.

That's not true at all. Some emotional connections never cease no matter how long you've been out of touch. That doesn't mean they all do though. I'd never say never. That way of thinking totally cheapens the human experience. True friends are valuable and will always care whether you're in their life day to day or not. I guess some people feel that if they don't see someone for a long while that the relationship might just as well not have even existed. Why relate with others at all then?

Honored Contributor

a small group of us reconnected from elementary school. some of them live out of town, but came back to visit parents during the holidays. 6 of us were able to get together a few days after christmas and enjoy a nice dinner and some drinks.....the manager of the restaurant bought us a round of drinks and we were the last ones in there that evening. we enjoyed ourselves and talked about "old times" and our "new times".

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 4/13/2014 kaybee said:

ITA....the words "friends" and "lost lost" or "40 years ago" should never be in the same sentence. IMO.

That's not true at all. Some emotional connections never cease no matter how long you've been out of touch. That doesn't mean they all do though. I'd never say never. That way of thinking totally cheapens the human experience. True friends are valuable and will always care whether you're in their life day to day or not. I guess some people feel that if they don't see someone for a long while that the relationship might just as well not have even existed. Why relate with others at all then?

I was trying to convey....if you were "good friends" back then, why did you ever lose contact to begin with? A true friend would never have a separation of time.

Super Contributor

ITA....the words "friends" and "lost lost" or "40 years ago" should never be in the same sentence. IMO.

I was trying to convey....if you were "good friends" back then, why did you ever lose contact to begin with? A true friend would never have a separation of time.

That's not true. When I was born there was a 6 month old girl next door. We, to this day, are like cousins even though she moved a few hundred miles away when we were kids and I haven't seen her in person since shortly after she was married in the early eighties. I moved across country 15 years ago and we went several years without communicating because our lives took us in different directions. WE KNOW EACH OTHER INSIDE AND OUT. I have several friends that I've lost contact with for various reasons and after a period of time reconnected.

I have several older half siblings who I wasn't raised with and we go long periods of time between communicating sometimes but there is a bond there that keeps us together even though Dad is gone. I feel the same way about several dear friends that I have made along the way.

Super Contributor

Oh geeze... that's baloney. Years ago there was this one friend in particular who I spent the majority of time with from kindergarten through 6th grade and her family moved away to Pennsylvania. We lost contact. That doesn't mean we weren't good friends, it means that life goes on. A few years ago, a group of us from HS recently reconnected, I hadn't seen some of them in over 20 years. They moved to different parts of the USA and life happens. Married, children, work, etc... When we got together, it was as if no time had passed since we were together.

Respected Contributor

If it's a true friend, you'll pick up where you left off, regardless of how many years have gone by. If it's an acquaintance from a certain period in your life, then sometimes you both move on and no longer have anything in common.

That being said, I've also connected with friends from my grade school through high school years and it's fun catching up. I even found out that a guy who I knew throughout my school years thought I was a hottie in grade school! LOL. We're not all super-close friends, but we enjoy doing a bit of reminiscing about our hometown, schools, each other, etc. I've found Facebook to be a lot of fun if you don't overdo it and make it your entire life.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James