Honored Contributor

I think I figured out what to give the bride and groom.

Right under my nose. The best food in the world, bar none. Had to remember the bride is allergic to lobster and the groom is allergic to shrimp but both of them love crab....so....JOE’S STONE CRAB. The wedding is in spring, so they will have to wait to use a gift certificate because stone crab season ends in a May. I’ll have to call to see if they have gift certificates for in the restaurant dining. Now I’m drooling for my own fix from Joe’s. Thank heavens we live in South Florida. I’ll continue deciding if this is the right gift for the wedding.

Honored Contributor

Re: I think I figured out what to give the bride and groom.

@Mindy D  Wow!  I learn something new here every day.  I'm so dumb when it comes to food.  I would have never figured that out.

To me, fish is fish.  If someone is allergic to any kind of fish I'd have ruled out a gift certificate of any kind of seafood restaurant.

That was interesting.  Thanks for letting us know what you decided.  So often people ask questions, then make a decision and never let us here know what has been decided.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Mindy D  Wow!  I learn something new here every day.  I'm so dumb when it comes to food.  I would have never figured that out.

To me, fish is fish.  If someone is allergic to any kind of fish I'd have ruled out a gift certificate of any kind of seafood restaurant.

That was interesting.  Thanks for letting us know what you decided.  So often people ask questions, then make a decision and never let us here know what has been decided.  Thanks.

Allergies are specific to particular proteins. Some people can even eat prawns but not certain species of shrimp. Some can only eat one species of shrimp. Most allergy testing does not get that specific, but the testing can be done. I’ve read many studies on this. Fish are not related to crab or lobster. Fish are more closely related to humans and other vertebrates than to invertebrates such as crab and lobster. Each species has more than one protein that can cause allergic reaction. My male friend longs for his past when he wasn’t allergic to shrimp. He still sneaks one off my plate now and then, only to have his lips swell. I keep telling him he’s playing with fire. I also keep telling him to get an EpiPen. 

Honored Contributor

As a seafood aficionado who lives in a coastal area near FL, where fresh seafood is plentiful (blue crab, fish, shrimp, oysters), I have to disagree with you that stone crab "is the best food in the world bar none".

When it comes to crab, Alaskan King crab legs (not local to me) are the best, and even Snow Crab legs (also not local to me) are better than Stone crab, IMO.

Stone crab is hard to crack (hence their name) and sticks to the shell, causing you to need to 'scrape' the meat off of the shell, resulting in small flakes of crab, rather than a nice chunk of crab meat to be able to dip in melted butter.

And as far as Joe's Crab Shack, have you ever eaten there?

We have one here, but only the tourists eat there, the locals know better.

A lot of money, for not much seafood.

But they're your friends and it's your opinion, so go for it!

I'm just surprised that you being from S FL, consider Stone crab and Joe's to be the 'best of the best'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I love Stone Crab claws  Yes, it is difficult to get the meat out of those hard shells, Jonah crab claws is a close second. Mmmmmm. It is worth the fight for me.

King crab legs and snow crab legs and claws are easier to get the meat out of,  but the flavor is not there.

I guess it is a matter of taste as to which is best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know where in south Florida you are but I'm looking forward to going to the "Blue Moon Fish Company" restaurant in Lauderdale-By- the-Sea when I go visit my mom later next month.  We've gone for the last several years and it doesn't disappoint.

Great seafood & atmosphere!  Plus they can choose what they would like to eat...it's a bit upscale and would make a nice wedding gift.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

As a seafood aficionado who lives in a coastal area near FL, where fresh seafood is plentiful (blue crab, fish, shrimp, oysters), I have to disagree with you that stone crab "is the best food in the world bar none".

When it comes to crab, Alaskan King crab legs (not local to me) are the best, and even Snow Crab legs (also not local to me) are better than Stone crab, IMO.

Stone crab is hard to crack (hence their name) and sticks to the shell, causing you to need to 'scrape' the meat off of the shell, resulting in small flakes of crab, rather than a nice chunk of crab meat to be able to dip in melted butter.

And as far as Joe's Crab Shack, have you ever eaten there?

We have one here, but only the tourists eat there, the locals know better.

A lot of money, for not much seafood.

But they're your friends and it's your opinion, so go for it!

I'm just surprised that you being from S FL, consider Stone crab and Joe's to be the 'best of the best'.

@KingstonsMom 

i find our BLUE CRAB so much better than stone crabs, snow crabs and king crabs. i think it is definitely personal taste.

i will agree with you that joes crab shack does NOT have the best seafood. we have so many seafood places in our area along the chesapeake bay that joes is not high on our list at all. the joes near us closed after a few years.....it could not compete with our local seafood restaurants.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I agree about Joe’s Crab Shack, but I have to say I love stone crabs. Never had to scrap them always a big chunk

of crabmeat. Love them.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Regardless of the allergies not specific to the stone crab, I would stay away from any seafood and go with your thought about a good steak house in your other thread.  Plus you have a time limit going on with the season ending shortly after the wedding.

I think you can find out which restaurants are a fave since you do know them.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Mindy D   Regardless of the allergies not specific to the stone crab, I would stay away from any seafood and go with your thought about a good steak house in your other thread.  Plus you have a time limit going on with the season ending shortly after the wedding.

I think you can find out which restaurants are a fave since you do know them.

I agree.

Giving a gift that could be problematic as far as having to use it in a small window of time or whatever else kind of takes away the whole point of giving a gift, IMO.

My SIL once gave my children gift cards to a store that was popular in the state she lived in, but the closest one to me was more than an hour away.  My children of course were anxious to use the gift cards, and it became a huge stress.  Her intentions were good, but ever since then I always try to be especially mindful of not giving a gift that could potentially be problematic. 

Gifts should be easy to accept and easy to use.  (I don't give anything battery-operated without enclosing batteries, for the same reason.)

Of course none of us knows this couple, and the OP does, so her idea may in fact be the perfect gift for them.  I would just be really sure before I went ahead with it.