Honored Contributor

Re: I signed up for Social Security this morning!

People would be tickled to death to live on 2,000 a month I'd imagine.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 There are many people who have to live on < $2000/month, and they do. My very good friend lives on $1200/month. Much depends on where you live.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@gidgetgh,   Welcome to the retiree club!  I was disability for 4 years starting at 63 and then taken off disability automatically and placed on retirement.  That's the way it works in case anyone wants to know.  That's why you really have to be in an awful way if you are young (20's or so) to be granted disability and you always need a lawyer.  I am going on and on - sorry.  Congratulations on your retirement.  You no longer need an alarm clock!  HeartCat Very Happy

@Katcat1- thanks.  I haven't worked full time since the end of 2011.  Part time after that till mid 2014.  I've only had to set an alarm one time since 2011 and I woke up before the alarm went off LOL.  Thanks for the good wishes.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I only worked for the government for a few years (out of high school).

When I had my first baby I quit and never worked again.  My husband had me working for him when he first started his company and after he sold it (in between he had about 200 employees).

So the money he paid into it for me wasn't enough to count (money lost).

I always say that if he hadn't been so successful I'd be working at Walmart or somewhere because I didn't get social security and it's impossible to live on $2,000 a month.

I live on the investments and never touch the principal and I use the social security money.  I don't know how people are expected to live on such a small amount.  It's crazy!

My daughters are paying into it and will never get it.

I will probably won't get SS either.  Not sure what my generation will do if no SS, no pension, and many live paycheck to paycheck.  I know many on here will chime in and suggest save some $. Not if you live paycheck to paycheck with low paying jobs. (even with degrees)

Where I live 2,000 an month would be living pretty good.

Op you are very fortunate you did not have to work. Most people have to work. (if you are a couple you both work, at least in my generation).

Working at Walmart in nothing to be shameful about. I know many who do. Many seniors don't get enough SS and have to work to supplement. They don't have investments from what their spouse earned to live on during retirement ages. Thank your lucky stars.

Honored Contributor

There's no shame in working, at Walmart or anywhere in your later years.

My health won't allow it.    I do work now but it's difficult and I plan to "retire" when I can get on Medicare April 1.

$2000 a month is plenty for me.   I'm very thrifty & my needs are modest.

Honored Contributor

It's not that there is shame in having to work after you retire - many people simply are not physically able to work. As we age we develop illnesses & handicapps that are not under our control.

Respected Contributor

Congrats/good for you!  I agree - the online process could not be easier!

Respected Contributor

I also signed up on-line when I turned 62.  My reasoning being: life is too short and I don't know if I'll be alive tomorrow.  I will be 64 in a few weeks.

With that, I married later in life and my DH had a good career and lots of good investments and savings.  He never married or had kids either.  He is 7 1/2 years older than me. 

So, the money I get from SS. basically never gets touched unless we want to do a project for the house which is fairly new.

Our theory is take it while you can because you can become ill or disabled.  JMO.

Respected Contributor

For personal reasons I took SS when I was 62.  It really is no one's business how much someone else makes or where they work.  It is shameful the way some posters  look down on others that live what they consider a lesser lifestyle. 

Honored Contributor

For what it's worth, @missy1, I think social security will still be there for you but maybe not as generous as now.