Esteemed Contributor

Re: I signed up for Social Security this morning!

@Shelbelle wrote:

Great, I will do the same next year this time when I turn 66, I am waiting until then because I still work part time. There is more to be gotten at 66, and since I only have 5 full time working years in, it is best for me to wait.  Already got my Medicare card.

@Shelbelle wrote:

Great, I will do the same next year this time when I turn 66, I am waiting until then because I still work part time. There is more to be gotten at 66, and since I only have 5 full time working years in, it is best for me to wait.  Already got my Medicare card.

@Shelbelle - I remember that we were born the same year and I just got my Medicare card too.  It is good you are waiting for 66 to collect more.  I was burnt out after 40 years of working and retired early at 57, so I was happy to be able to collect at 62.   Happy 65th birthday early!!

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@software wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I signed up online. All done in 10 minutes. I turn 62 in October and you can start the process 90 days prior, so today was my day!

While it hardly seems possible that I'm almost 62 (where did the time go?) I'm so thankful to have reached this point and am thrilled that the benefit is there. 

The online process was simple and straightforward. Very efficient. 

Congratulations!!!

I'm waiting until I'm 65, next April

I'll sign up the same time I sign up for Medicare, just because

(I'm still employed)

I'm literally counting the days.

@software I totally agree with you.  I'll be 64 in August and I can't wait to get Medicare.  I'm also still working and will probably keep working if my health holds out.  So far I've managed to beat a lymphoma and still managed to work.  I feel very fortunate about that.  

Beating cancer is no small feat!   I wish you many years in good health.

I have multiple diagnoses myself, no cancer, but I'm hanging by a thread.   I have great plans for my retirement and I've told my doctor I just need 20 more years!  When I no longer have the stress of my very stressful job and long commute, I know I will feel better.   I have 2 auto-immune diagnoses.    I need to take care of myself.

@software Thank you so much.  I got very lucky.  It was in a sinus gland and there's 28 different strains of Lymphoma.  I was lucky to get a high grade one that was easily cured with only 6 rouns of chemo therapy.  I never had any side effects from the chemo at all.  Another lucky factor for me.  I wish and hope you're as lucky as me to manage your auto-immune diagnoses without feeling too bad and side effects from treatments as i have.  It sure isn't easy to have to work and have an illness at the same time.  I wish you nothing but good health and happiness.  

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I'm waiting until I'm 65.  I could do it now also but I hate to lose money.  You get more at 65. 

@Blingqueen023  I'm pretty sure you don't get 100% until age 66.  That's people in my age range, which I think you are.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I am not an expert, but I really think you need to be 66, not 65, to get more than if you were 62. Hope that makes sense.

@Shelbelle Sorry I just posted the same thing - didn't see your post.  You are right.  There's a sliding scale based on when you were born and I'm the same "year of birth" range you are.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I'm waiting until I'm 65.  I could do it now also but I hate to lose money.  You get more at 65. 

@Blingqueen023  I'm pretty sure you don't get 100% until age 66.  That's people in my age range, which I think you are.

@Pearlee that's true I think.  If I'm still working, and I hope I am, I can wait until I get the most money.  On this day and age, the longer you wait the better the pay off will be.  I would lose a bundle if I took it at age 62.  I'm waiting as long as possible to get the full amount.  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I signed up online. All done in 10 minutes. I turn 62 in October and you can start the process 90 days prior, so today was my day!

While it hardly seems possible that I'm almost 62 (where did the time go?) I'm so thankful to have reached this point and am thrilled that the benefit is there. 

The online process was simple and straightforward. Very efficient. 

I counted the days until I was able to do it.  My feet barely hit the floor that morning and I was on-line taking care of business!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Yes you do. And even more if we you wait till 66. But I'm not working anymore and my two pensions are very small so I went with the "bird in the hand" theory. Just for my personal situation I didn't want to lose three years of benefits. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone that waits till 70 really cleans up!! 70 is max benefit to be gotten.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@gidgetgh - I also applied online when I turned 62 and couldn't believe how easy it was.  Was a little apprehensive doing it that way, but friends did it before and had no problems.  Much easier than waiting in the SS office.  Like you, I couldn't believe that I had gotten to that age.  Atfer working for 40 years I didn't want to wait until 65.

Two weeks ago I received my Medicare card in the mail - now that was another "where did the years go"  moment!!

Hope you enjoy many years of receiving SS.

@twinsister- thank you.  Wishing you the same. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle - I remember that we were born the same year and I just got my Medicare card too.  It is good you are waiting for 66 to collect more.  I was burnt out after 40 years of working and retired early at 57, so I was happy to be able to collect at 62.   Happy 65th birthday early!!

Hi, Twin, I turn 65 in Sept, congrats to you as well. I still work 3 half days a week. BTW, my Mom had a twin sis too!!