Honored Contributor

I signed up for Social Security this morning!

I signed up online. All done in 10 minutes. I turn 62 in October and you can start the process 90 days prior, so today was my day!

While it hardly seems possible that I'm almost 62 (where did the time go?) I'm so thankful to have reached this point and am thrilled that the benefit is there. 

The online process was simple and straightforward. Very efficient. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: I signed up for Social Security this morning!

@gidgetgh wrote:

I signed up online. All done in 10 minutes. I turn 62 in October and you can start the process 90 days prior, so today was my day!

While it hardly seems possible that I'm almost 62 (where did the time go?) I'm so thankful to have reached this point and am thrilled that the benefit is there. 

Congratulations!!!

I'm waiting until I'm 65, next April

I'll sign up the same time I sign up for Medicare, just because

(I'm still employed)

I'm literally counting the days.

Respected Contributor

I'm waiting until I'm 65.  I could do it now also but I hate to lose money.  You get more at 65. 

Honored Contributor

Great, I will do the same next year this time when I turn 66, I am waiting until then because I still work part time. There is more to be gotten at 66, and since I only have 5 full time working years in, it is best for me to wait.  Already got my Medicare card.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Congratulations!!!

(I'm still employed)

@software I totally agree with you.  I'll be 64 in August and I can't wait to get Medicare.  I'm also still working and will probably keep working if my health holds out.  So far I've managed to beat a lymphoma and still managed to work.  I feel very fortunate about that.  

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Great, I will do the same next year this time when I turn 66, I am waiting until then because I still work part time. There is more to be gotten at 66, and since I only have 5 full time working years in, it is best for me to wait.  Already got my Medicare card.

Congrats on the Medicare.  I work 4 days a week.  I'm not in a real hurry for Social Security yet.  Like I said in an earlier post, if my health holds out I don't mind still working.  The longer you wait the more money you'll get from social security. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh - I also applied online when I turned 62 and couldn't believe how easy it was.  Was a little apprehensive doing it that way, but friends did it before and had no problems.  Much easier than waiting in the SS office.  Like you, I couldn't believe that I had gotten to that age.  Atfer working for 40 years I didn't want to wait until 65.

Two weeks ago I received my Medicare card in the mail - now that was another "where did the years go"  moment!!

Hope you enjoy many years of receiving SS.

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@software wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Congratulations!!!

(I'm still employed)

@software I totally agree with you.  I'll be 64 in August and I can't wait to get Medicare.  I'm also still working and will probably keep working if my health holds out.  So far I've managed to beat a lymphoma and still managed to work.  I feel very fortunate about that.  

Beating cancer is no small feat!   I wish you many years in good health.

I have multiple diagnoses myself, no cancer, but I'm hanging by a thread.   I have great plans for my retirement and I've told my doctor I just need 20 more years!  When I no longer have the stress of my very stressful job and long commute, I know I will feel better.   I have 2 auto-immune diagnoses.    I need to take care of myself.

Honored Contributor

I am not an expert, but I really think you need to be 66, not 65, to get more than if you were 62. Hope that makes sense.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations ! I took mine early, and never regretted it. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan