Respected Contributor

Re: I really don't like turkey dinner all that much

I don't like cornbread stuffing.  I make a traditional dressing with croutons, celery, onion, and chicken stock.  It's only seasoned with sale and pepper. This year I did add hot Italian sausage.  It was very good. 

The gravy is made from the turkey drippings.  I baste the turkey every 15 minutes with chicken stock.  I place the turkey on celery, carrots, and onions.  It's only seasoned with sale and pepper.  I do add some white wine to that too. 

The biggest turn off to me is poultry seasoning, sage, rosemary and Thyme.  There is something about any or all of those seasonings that make me think of diner food or something. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I didn't hear stuffing called dressing ,one time on this thread. It also looks like the majority doesn't like cornbread stuffing

Opps REd top called it dressing ,but she still made it with bread

I only make cornbread dressing, I grew up with the white bread kind. You know with prepackaged dried bread cubes with pasty white bread added. I just don't like it.

I make my cornbread from scratch for my dressing and the last few years it's been sausage, fennel and pear, the pan deglazed with white wine and the usual other veg, celery, scallions, fresh parsly.

I'm not a huge fan of dressing and I refuse to eat stuffing that was cooked inside the bird. But I do like this recipe enough to eat some in the day. 

To me TG is just too many starchy dishes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I love the traditional food, but we didn't care for the Jenny O turkey breast so the leftovers were tossed, and we ate the last if the sweet potatoes for our side tonight.  Outside of sliced turkey for sandwiches, we'll skip the whole thing this Christmas in favor of lobster salad and bacon-wrapped fillets.  It's easier to prepare and actually costs less.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

I like cornbread stuffing with breakfast sausage in it.  Roast turkey I only eat at Thanksgiving because when I was growing up that is what my mother would make and I loved her stuffing.  I really need to try her stuffing recipe to see it I can make it like hers.but it is with white bread.  This year I ate chicken for Thanksgiving.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@cherry wrote:

We eat out, and I don't like cornbread stuffing, nor gravy on top. I think next year I'm going to get prime rib

Does anyone else not care for turkey and cornbread stuffing?

I order it because it's traditional ,but  not again

Why on earth would you go out and order something you don't like?  I sure wouldn't. . . 

It was a lapse of mental skills

@cherry

LOL!!  I have those too!  Wonder what causes them???

Respected Contributor

The traditional Thanksgiving meal (all homemade) is my favorite of the year, and I purposely make enough so that we have lots of leftovers. I eat the leftovers twice a day for several days after the holiday, until (sadly for me) we run out.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@cherry I've never liked turkey.  When I was a kid living with my sister, I'd eat a freaking hot dog instead of the turkey.  As I got older I'd just eat the vegetables.  

This year my daughter who lives near me was sick and her children and husband went to her mother-in-laws for dinner.  I stayed home and later I'd been craving a Burger King hamburger and that's where I went...to Burger King and at a wonderful hamburger!  The night before, lying in bed I kept thinking about the stupid hamburger!  

I told the guy when he gave it to me, "If I wasn't so old, I'd think I was pregnant wanting this stupid hamburger".  He said, "Well, we didn't have any made, so I cooked the hamburger and french fries just for you, be careful they are hot".  And they really were hot.  My belly was full and I was happy.

It sounds better than my meal. That stuffing was like glue. I don't like cornbread to begin with. If I'm having stuffing I want bread

@cherry  Me either, I dont like cornbread, corn muffins, corn dogs - anything that has corn grit in it or on it.  I even go so far as to rub it off the English muffins before I toast them!

Respected Contributor

I used to love it because we only had it once or twice a year.  Now my husband buys turkey breasts and small turkeys during the year so it is not really a special treat anymore.  I did not even want it at Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

I love turkey -- but only the white meat.  To me, thoughts of a turkey dinner will always provoke special memories of past holidays when I was a very young girl and my dad was still with us.  He absolutely adored Thanksgiving and Christmas and he was so happy and made all of us happy.  He wasn't a man to sit back and just do nothing while the women did all the work.  He got right in there -- slicing and dicing --- you name it ---he did it --- singing and dancing all the while!!!

Some of the tried and true recipes I no longer care that much for -- such as greenbean casserole or macaroni salad.  Others such as sage stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, jello salad with fruits, nuts and whipped topping, brussel sprouts, deviled eggs, turkey noodle soup--- these I still love!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jonbon wrote:

The traditional Thanksgiving meal (all homemade) is my favorite of the year, and I purposely make enough so that we have lots of leftovers. I eat the leftovers twice a day for several days after the holiday, until (sadly for me) we run out.

So do we. Today, I am making a turkey pot pie for our Sunday night supper, and that will take care of the rest of our turkey leftovers as well as the leftover gravy. DH loves turkey (or chicken) pot pie, so he'll be a happy camper. 

He finished off the stuffing (made with my homemade sourdough bread; I keep sourdough starter in the fridge at all times), the mashed potatoes and the roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes yesterday. 

Leftovers are good for the weekend and then that's enough. I enjoy a turkey sandwich with homemade cranberry relish. And the pot pie. After that, we move on. But there is never any waste...I'm careful to make what we need.

Looking forward to Christmas now with the crown roast of pork for our Christmas dinner!