Esteemed Contributor

Re: I really don't like turkey dinner all that much

My family LOVES the turkey dinner with our traditional white bread ( not cornbread) stuffing and home made gravy. Including the much loved "green bean casserole"!!

( For which I made home made soup this year and will probably never go back to canned)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son and his fiancé made us a traditional dinner the night before   Thanksgiving.  The turkey was very moist and the stuffing was Pepperidge Farm with just chopped celery and onion -- very good.      We had asparagus and Red Lobster biscuits as go-alongs.  The best part was they genuinely seemed to enjoy making the meal.

Generally, I am not a fan of Thanksgiving food.  I especially dislike mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.  I'm okay with one day of leftovers and then I want it all gone.  Unfortunately, my husband wants to eat every bit of the leftovers.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

We eat out, and I don't like cornbread stuffing, nor gravy on top. I think next year I'm going to get prime rib

Does anyone else not care for turkey and cornbread stuffing?

I order it because it's traditional ,but  not again

Why on earth would you go out and order something you don't like?  I sure wouldn't. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@cherry wrote:

We eat out, and I don't like cornbread stuffing, nor gravy on top. I think next year I'm going to get prime rib

Does anyone else not care for turkey and cornbread stuffing?

I order it because it's traditional ,but  not again

Why on earth would you go out and order something you don't like?  I sure wouldn't. . . 

It was a lapse of mental skills

Respected Contributor

Turkey once a year is good enough for me.  But I do like the stuffing, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce.

Honored Contributor

@cherry,

I grew up in a turkey loving family---both sides always cooked turkeys over 20 lbs or cooked 2 turkeys in order to have enough for the main meal, and leftovers.   For my family of 4, I cooked 2 large turkey breasts, and my dressing was mixed in, and nearly filled, a 20 cup Tupperware bowl.   Here we are 2 days after Thanksgiving, and the last of the turkey went into a pot pie today, as well as into turkey salad.   Teacher daughter will bake the last of the dressing tomorrow to take to school for her lunch next week. 

We absolutely love roast turkey and homemade gravy, not pressed turkey, or lunch meat turkey, or gravy from a jar.   In all honesty, I was actually in my mid 30's, before I ever heard anyone say they did not like turkey.   I was surprised many hospital employees never picked up their free holiday turkey, and even more surprised when my free Thanksgiving meal from the hospital came with a choice of turkey, ham, or fried chicken, because of the number of employees who didn't like turkey.    

On the other hand, I am not a big ham eater.   My reason has always been that the ham is too salty for me.  I rarely ever find a slice of ham I can eat.   This is a quirk I have always had, and as I've gotten older I've learned I am super sensitive to salt.   I grew up with my family thinking I just wanted to have something to complain about when I would ask for only a very small bite of ham to test, and then may or may not ask for more.   Everyone else at the table would think the ham was perfect, but to me, I've just eaten a spoonful of salt and need to wash that taste out of my mouth.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't hear stuffing called dressing ,one time on this thread. It also looks like the majority doesn't like cornbread stuffing

Opps REd top called it dressing ,but she still made it with bread

Honored Contributor

My dressing is half cornbread and half stale hamburger and hot dog buns, as well as bread heels.   I also shape it like a hamburger patty and bake until brown, so it's not a wet mushy bite.   

Respected Contributor

I feel less and less like eating meals, more into snacking/ grazing.  DH wants traditional Thanksgiving meal so I made one but potatoes, yams, stuffing pies are all carbs.  Not good for diabetics.  He's been eating turkey sandwiches.  No appeal.

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I feel less and less like eating meals, more into snacking/ grazing.  DH wants traditional Thanksgiving meal so I made one but potatoes, yams, stuffing pies are all carbs.  Not good for diabetics.  He's been eating turkey sandwiches.  No appeal.

Grazing is good