Esteemed Contributor

Re: I really don't like turkey dinner all that much

My husband is on your side. Every year I insist on the traditional dinner and end up tossing most of the turkey. He likes ham, but I don't care for the sodium. I will try to think of something "different" next year, I guess. He would actually be happy with pizza  OMG !

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Re: I really don't like turkey dinner all that much

After reading here I remembered my father making the turkey gravy on Thanksgiving.  It bore no resemblance to the starchy, floury, pasty glop that so often accompanies the Thanksgiving dinner.  It was darker, thinner, and much more flavorful.  He stood at the stove stirring and stirring a big spoon in the turkey roasting pan for what seemed like hours to me when I was little.  Best gravy I've ever had.  It's really the only time I ever even eat gravy, on Thanksgiving.  But it never measures up to my father's gravy.

I eat turkey a lot, but it's not with all the starchy stuff that traditionally accompanies the holiday meal.  Just good roasted turkey, unadorned (except for a little salt and pepper), with a big side of vegetables.  I just like roasted turkey, just like I like roasted chicken.  Not that deli stuff or packaged junk that is labeled "turkey".  A boyfriend used to call that stuff "put-together turkey".