Respected Contributor

Re: I really dislike traveling

I am not a great traveler. I like that I have seen various places, but it's so much work.

This past summer I got away every other week by driving to Lansing (about 90 minutes away) and going to its many wonderful bookstores with my friend who lives there. I'd drive back home the same day.

That's enough of a break for me.

Trusted Contributor

I don't understand the OP telling other posters to quit sharing that they enjoy traveling. You can't start a thread, and then tell people they can only respond, if they agree with you! I also like to travel, and while the airport experience can be frustrating, I always give myself plenty of time, and use TSV precheck, whenever I can. Flying itself, I enjoy.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Rtmom said:
On 1/9/2015 twopeas said:

I'm with you. I do NOT like to travel. By the time I take care of boarding our pets, to packing, to cleaning. etc etc. I'm exhausted. My dh throws his underwear in a bag and he's ready to go.

This is just the way I feel (pets here too) plus I get to do all the planning BC he is dyslexic. Getting too old for this cr"p. Everyone else - stop telling us you love to travel - it is IRRELEVANT. Let us vent!

LOL, Rtmom - that struck me as funny. I know what you're saying. To be fair though, you did pose the question...in your words "am I just the odd person who truly does not enjoying traveling?" And people are answering.

As for me, I hate most everything about it. I have to fly if I want to go "home" and see my family on the mainland. Once there I love being in my home town and stomping grounds and never get to go see the rest of the country. Some day I'd like to do a road trip through a few states. But even my dh is not comfortable driving on freeways now. He has lived here since 1975 and we don't have a single freeway here.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Highlighted
Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 lulu2 said:

I'm not fond of the travel part but the destination usually makes it worth the hassles.

Me either! I DO think traveling is great, but airline travel isn't what it used to be! IDK how they've managed to squeeze more seats into already tight spaces, but they have.

This past summer, my sister and I flew out of Frankfurt to a northern European country, and the not only did the seats seem made for small children, but the rows ahead and behind were so close, it was like being a sardine in a can. Talk about claustrophobic!

When my sis reclined her seat, the woman directly behind her had a panic attack. Waay too close for her comfort level.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to THINK I loved traveling, but the reality is, I hate flying, hate sleeping in beds where others have, hate having to hassle at the airport and HATE having to arrange for a pet sitter for my 5 cats. The last item is the big one for me. I just feel guilty leaving them even though I know all their needs are met.

We have tried using a house sitter, but that really wasn't so great either. One woman turned out to be a vegan and balked at having to feed the cats canned food! She didn't say anything about this in the initial interview, so it came as a surprise.

DH and I will drive to NJ to visit my sister, but anything beyond that causes me high anxiety. I have to just about put myself into a trans to get through it.

I'd be happy to never leave home except to grocery shop now and then!

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Witchy Woman said:

I used to THINK I loved traveling, but the reality is, I hate flying, hate sleeping in beds where others have, hate having to hassle at the airport and HATE having to arrange for a pet sitter for my 5 cats. The last item is the big one for me. I just feel guilty leaving them even though I know all their needs are met.

We have tried using a house sitter, but that really wasn't so great either. One woman turned out to be a vegan and balked at having to feed the cats canned food! She didn't say anything about this in the initial interview, so it came as a surprise.

DH and I will drive to NJ to visit my sister, but anything beyond that causes me high anxiety. I have to just about put myself into a trans to get through it.

I'd be happy to never leave home except to grocery shop now and then!

Witchy, ITA, but what was terrible, was recently moving my 2 cats across the country. Only ONE pet can fly in-cabin w/ you, so the other had to go cargo. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor

I think it's clear that many posters here who are not travelers now did travel at one time. And for various reasons as I stated myself we no longer choose to travel especially by air or at least not as far as we once did. The 58 year old who said they hope they never stop traveling might feel differently if the physical condition of a spouse or the care of pets, etc. was an issue. And honestly many of us have done a lot of traveling in the past and are really happy being home. I love my home and live in an area where I can easily see all sorts of museums, concerts, theatre, etc..

Frequent Contributor

On 1/9/2015 KathyPet said: I think more of you should stay home. It would allow more airline flight choices and possibly cheaper airfare for me.
Well aren't you a lovely person, not really. Travel all you want, no one is stopping you. I am recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, after a year of seeing doctors, having tests, etc. The continual pain and fatigue make traveling more of a chore than anything else. Plus I've been all over the U.S. by now and don't need it desire to see any more.
Respected Contributor

Travel in itself is a PITA. I would gladly put up with it because without those inconveniences, and high costs, I never would have seen the wondrous sights and places we've visited.

Honored Contributor

My husband dislikes travel immensely unless it's by a car. He is not ""afraid"" of flying. He hates the hassle of flying. It's a fight getting him to fly somewhere.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"