Frequent Contributor
The older I get the more I dislike traveling. It is just too much of a hassle, from the planning, to then money spent, not to mention airport security. Air travel has become a burden any more. Yet my husband always wants to travel once a year for our anniversary, so I go to please him. However if he should pass before me (not being morbid here), the traveling will end because my reason to travel will be no more. It's not like I even have much family left to go see. Am I just the odd person who truly does not enjoy traveling? The anxiety and stress it produces in me just isn't worth it.
Honored Contributor

Re: I really dislike traveling

OP....I understand what you are saying...DH and I are not great travelers.....I do try to research where we are going (when we do travel) so we know all the places to go but we both get bored after a few days and we both don't do 'down time' very well. He is 75 this year and I will be turning 60 shortly....we have always felt this way so I am not sure age has anything to do with it.

We both still work and enjoy having a purpose or at least something to do most days.

Frequent Contributor

Have you thought about road trips? Maybe try traveling shorter distances so it's more relaxing with lots of rest stops and scenic routes.

Super Contributor

I never travel. I have not left home for over 20 years. No desire. I do not like sleeping in hotels and having to worry about bed bugs. Day trips are just fine...lots to see and do right where I live.
Honored Contributor

I love traveling - everything about it. I always have.

I guess it's not for everybody though...

Super Contributor

I love to travel and hope to keep traveling for many, many years to come. Fortunately, now that I'm retired I'm not in 6 different cities in 3 days. That did get to be a giant PITA after 15 years, but it gave me an opportunity to get a glimpse of places that I'd like to see more of. It's only as stressful as you let it be.

Esteemed Contributor

I am with you on this one, for the first time since I was a young child I am going to let my passport expire.

Respected Contributor

I can sympathize with the o/p. I traveled (flew) a lot growing up, in college, and for my.job until I changed career paths in the late 1990s. I loved it and enjoyed the experience. However, I'm very glad I did it back then and not now. There is a definite difference in the travel.experience today and I don't enjoy it. I still fly s couple times a year, but only to.visit family. I do.like road trips. There are many beautiful places within driving distance from me.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Frequent Contributor

I won't let my passport expire as it's still good id and hard enough to get. But id will be all its used for. And please don't tell me travel is not stressful, maybe not for you, but I cannot take it any longer.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm with you OP - My first DH worked for British Leyland as a factory rep and we traveled extensively all over the world - with 2 kids in tow. Now, at age 65 I really prefer to stay home and enjoy the beautiful tropical paradise where I live in SW Florida. However, we do also have a camper in Pa where we go for the summer to get out of Florida's extreme heat. If I were ever left alone , though, I would probably sell the camper and stay here in Florida all year.