Honored Contributor

Re: I "shopped," I "grabbed," I "picked up"

It's like "inspo".  Can we not just say inspiration???  

Some of this is texting shorthand, which has carried over into regular conversation.   I'm not a big word shorthand person. Doesn't mean I'm better or worse than anyone else.  Just not my thing. 

Or "def"'for definitely.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Using the word "bucks" instead of "dollars" rubs me the wrong way. 

@Shanus Well, you can look down on me because I use bucks and grabs more than dollars and purchases.  

I used the word "purchased" on here years ago about some item from qvc and I was accused of being "uppity" Woman LOL

@tiny 2 

Really?  I use "purchase" all the time.  I guess I'm "uppity," then, and will continue to be uppity. Lol.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think these phrases sometimes depend on HOW we are buying. For instance if I spend $150 on groceries at one store, well, I just went "shopping". But if I run (not really) down the street to Trader Joe's for a few items needed to make dinner, then I "picked up". When harried for time, lunch might be "grabbed". 

Unfortunately, given today's world we are living in, as much as I hate what it is doing to our B&M stores, I often find myself "ordering" stuff.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

At the risk of being horribly offensive, I either get something or got something.  

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

So much more important things to be concerned with.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

This is me nowadays - grab and go. It's no longer 'fun' to go to the grocery store being around others in somewhat close proximity. With and without masks, I do both and now I'm back to wearing a mask. I hate it but I do it.

I don't like to be around people I do not know in any store, grocery more so because we're all buying foods we're eventually going to eat. People touch everything, I'm no differetn I guess really but I'm more conscious of it now. 

My husband sometimes goes with me but he's one who likes to look, touch, ponder the aisles. No longer works for me because I just don't want to be around so many strangers.

Grab and go that's me now. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

"I grabbed" is like nails on the chalkboard for me.

I bought, I'm going to buy, is what I use.

In a huge Facebook group I belong to they also use grab if they're picking something up from you.  "I'll grab this from you when I see you tomorrow".  

When I see "grab" I visualize a take it and run situation.

When I see grab I think of someone pushing everyone else out of the way to get at the Ladt of something.

Valued Contributor

same thing with Target and "guests" I am not a guest I am a customer giving you money for goods,  guests don't do that.   Companies love euphemisms of all kinds 

I SO agree with you. You PAY to stay at a hotel; staying with a friend means you're a guest. I guess most businesses think if they call customers "guests" they'll think of themselves as such and are more easily parted from their money.

Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

So much more important things to be concerned with.

Then why are you wasting your time here?

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@CalminHeart,

I know you are right. I guess just venting about things that don't matter instead of things that really do.

@on the bay

This is a discussion board, so discuss what is on your mind. It isn't up to any other poster to decide what matters to you or not.