Honored Contributor

Re: I "met" April the giraffe today!

@Cat lover 1731 wrote:

I love your pictures. I'm going to the park in a couple of weeks. Do you have any suggestions for me?

@Cat lover 1731- yes, I do. They open at 10:00. We got there at 9:30 and the parking lot was over half full. When it fills up they have a shuttle to a local park, where you can park. So, my first tip would get there early. By 9:30.  I didn't want to have to fool with a shuttle. 

Then you line up to pay admission and go in.  They are not set up for credit cards yet, so bring cash.  The line for admission gets really long so again, get there really early if you can. 

If you get there early, go to see April first. If you go on their website, you can print out a map of the park ahead of time and it will show where all the animals are.  We saw April, Oliver and Taj first and then went back again to see them before we left. 

Both at admissions and at the giraffe barn you can buy carrot portions for $3.  I did this twice. You can also buy food for the other animals. 

You can can also buy lunch there, which we did. My husband had a hotdog which he said was good. My cousins had hamburgers and said they were great. I had a grilled cheese sandwich, also very good. All Grilled right it front of you and the food prices were very reasonable. 

Of the other animals, I really liked the Hyena and the red kangaroos.  And the wolves. 

We were there about 2 1/2 hours. 

The staff was very nice.  Very friendly. 

We just had a really nice time and I hope you do too. 

And they have a gift shop. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, thank you for the fabulous pictures!!!! And, for the advice and information!

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

IMG_7638.JPGAnd I was soooooo excited. Seriously. 

My husband and I drove up from Atlanta, stopped in PA to visit family first and a few family members went up to New York today with us. It's been a perfect day. 

The Animal Park was packed. We got there 30 minutes before they opened. The owner, Jordan, helped us park. I had written a note to him and his team, thanking him for putting the camera up. I was happy to be able to give it to him personally.  I saw Cory from a distance, but didn't talk to him. I did not see Allysa. 

April is very friendly. Very cute and not shy at all. We fed her carrot portions and I was able to pet April (I almost cried). She and Oliver are HUGE. Really big. Taj was out in the yard with her and Oliver was indoors, in April's stall. We were able to go in and see Oliver.  You're not allowed to pet Oliver, he doesn't like it. But you can feed him. 

Here are a few pictures including one of me, from behind, feeding her. I feel comfortable posting it. It was just the greatest day. I was so happy and thankful to go. My husband has some health issues and he really hung in, but the day tired him out. 

wow!  what a lovely experience!! Thanks for posting it!!

Respected Contributor

@gidgetghAww! I love these photos!Heart

Thanks for posting them.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh

what a awesome day you must have had! Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos & your day with us!

homedecor

Valued Contributor

How fabulous!!!   You got to meet a Star!   They are so beautiful. 

They did say the males only like 2 things.  Eating was one of them!  LOL!!!

Recommend a scooter for your DH so he can save energy to enjoy lots of things.  They break down to fit in a trunk.

So glad to see the pictures.

Contributor

Thanks so much for all the information. I'll update with pictures too! Can't wait to meet the giraffe family!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh ... Lucky, lucky you! I'm so happy that you were able to see the famous giraffe family...and even feed them. I've read so much about them that I feel like I know them personally. I'm glad to "talk" to someone who has seen them in person. Smiley Wink Thanks for posting the pictures!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting the pics - April is sure a beauty.
Respected Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

How fabulous!!!   You got to meet a Star!   They are so beautiful. 

They did say the males only like 2 things.  Eating was one of them!  LOL!!!

Recommend a scooter for your DH so he can save energy to enjoy lots of things.  They break down to fit in a trunk.

So glad to see the pictures.

LOL!! Sounds familiar.