Esteemed Contributor

Re: I once had a friend who or that ............

[ Edited ]

I had to stop reading all the posts because I started to cry.  The replies brought back so many painful memories of my three closest friends who died of breast cancer.  One in particular will always be remembered for her gift of gab and a laugh that was infectious.   Two of them died in 2011 and the other in 1995, way to soon for all three.  I miss them terribly.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I have a dear friend that I know since my first day of school, we shared the same last name and we became friends on that day and have been ever since. We do not live close but she is there when I need her, she IM'ed last year from Kathmandu where was doing volunteer work there, this was while my DH was having health issues. She is the one I turned to when my dad was in his last hours, she was a great comfort at 3 am.

She was coming as we were leaving her house on Marthas Vineyard this past June

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

My best friend is sitting at my feet. She,s loyal, loving, smart, and goes almost everywhere with me and we never argue. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had a ex boyfriend that used and abused me back when we were going out as teenagers back in the 80's I was so in love with him that I did not realize back then what was happening to me. I was young and dumb and in love or at least I thought so at the time [first boyfriend]. Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

I once had a friend with whom I shared everything. We navigated our teenage years together, I was Maid of Honor when she married at 18 and I was there for her when she had her first child at 19.  We remained friends for the next couple of decades and then lost touch.  I've looked for her many times over the years, but it was almost as if she'd dropped off the earth. I was honestly concerned that she had died. I found her daughter on FB recently, and tried to reconnect.  She said her mom was "anti-social" and didn't participate in social media.  I gave her daughter my phone number and asked her to encourage her mom to contact me, but she never did.  What struck me the most, is that I realized after chatting with her daughter via FB Messenger, that she had been sitting right there with her at that time.  It's weird and I miss the friendship, but at least now I know that I reached out and the lines of communication are available if she wants to reconnect.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And one more....

I once had a friend who was the most popular girl in elementary school. She was outgoing and talented and I so admired her.  She had a birthday party every year, and somehow I was invited, even though I was not one of the popular girls. 

When FB first became popular, I found that she had become a scientist and was living in a beautiful suburb of Boston. She had a husband, daughters and grandchildren and still looked like she was 40 years old.  I figured some people were just more blessed than others.

A couple of years ago, I got a message from a mutual friend saying that Liz had passed away from breast cancer. She'd been fighting it for years, but only a couple of her closest friends had known.

That was a smack in the head to remind me that we can't judge other people's lives from the image they put forth in public.  Here I thought she had it all, when she was in fact fighting for her life.  Since then, whenever I'm faced with something difficult or annoying I remind myself that Liz would be thrilled to have the chance to deal with the challenges and irritations of life.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I once had a very good friend all through Jr. High and High School that was super smart, gorgeous and very popular, who went on to commit suicide over a man at the age of 20.....

I was so devastated, it was so unlike her. All these years later I still can't believe she did that......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry for you that you lost a friend.  It sounds as though she has some very serious mental issues and/or that something most horrible happened in her life and she is having trouble coping.  I suffer from PTSD and its an everyday battle and would be so much easier to become antisocial.

@house_cat

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)