Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: I need to vent Re: my friend and cell phones

@Anita Hug

@Anita Hug wrote:

I have a cell phone, but it is only for emergencies. I do not keep it on, and I only give the number out to those closest to me. If someone needs to reach me, all they have to do is call my home number - and leave a message. I'll call back as soon as I can. 

When did we as a society get to the place where it is an expectation that others be available 24/7?    

don't expect me to drop everything to respond.  I'm not talking days, I generally get back to people within a couple of hours, and I make no apology for having my own life and priorities.

Applause.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Occasional Contributor

If I had any way of knowing that my messages to her had been received, that would be different. However, I can leave a message on a Monday and not hear back for several days-obviously, that can be a problem when we are trying to get something scheduled.  She expects to be able to reach me at any time and does!

Honored Contributor

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink......but you might could snag a hug! (sorry, couldn't resist!)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@mrsbear wrote:

If I had any way of knowing that my messages to her had been received, that would be different. However, I can leave a message on a Monday and not hear back for several days-obviously, that can be a problem when we are trying to get something scheduled.  She expects to be able to reach me at any time and does!

She can call and make her own appointments if she wants to. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

You can lead a horse to water.........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mrsbear

I have to agree... Leave it be.

This person (your friend) needs to "take care of business."

If she is unable to do this (keep a calendar/listen to her answering machine) then you would be right in letting her know that you will not be doing for her.

Perhaps the daughter needs to require this from her mom?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Just let it be, she's going to do what she wants regardless.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

You can lead a horse to water.........

@nana59

LOL! See my post #13, the photo is worth it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the input-it remains a mystery to me why she would rather be the object of jokes in her family about her phone use or lack thereof instead of acknowledging that it is necessary for many reasons. The logical solution is for me not to be so available to her at a moment's notice I suppose.  We have always had a good relationship but this is difficult.  When her heart problems were diagnosed, her daughter insisted that she had to have a cell phone that worked before she would let her babysit.  I helped her buy and set one up with all the bells and whistles so that her daughter would be more agreeable to her babysitting.  

Honored Contributor

@mrsbear wrote:

Thanks for all the input-it remains a mystery to me why she would rather be the object of jokes in her family about her phone use or lack thereof instead of acknowledging that it is necessary for many reasons. The logical solution is for me not to be so available to her at a moment's notice I suppose.  We have always had a good relationship but this is difficult.  When her heart problems were diagnosed, her daughter insisted that she had to have a cell phone that worked before she would let her babysit.  I helped her buy and set one up with all the bells and whistles so that her daughter would be more agreeable to her babysitting.  

@mrsbear -  She sounds really selfish - not caring if her daughter worries terribly about her with her heart condition AND caring for her grandchild.  IMO the daughter should be able to reach her whenever she needs to do so.