Honored Contributor

Re: I need suggestions for dealing with a kind neighbor

@cherry wrote:

I guess I just feel ashamed to  take money from him. He is so good to everyone @SahmIam

@cherry  it has to be very tough for him to ask for help so I agree with those folks that say gather up the money and donate it (maybe back to that senior center?).  

My parents were from that generation and if my dad had to have someone help him it would have been tough on him.  God bless you and your DH for lending a helping hand.  You are most kind.  Heart

Honored Contributor

We have another family that helps him too, and they are wonderful people...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fluffysmom wrote:

If you don't take it he might quit asking for a ride. He needs to get out and that is a very proud generation .Have you ever had him over or taken dinner or baked goods you make to him. He may be very lonely.Thanks for giving him rides.

The reason I suggested dinner with him, is when you stop and think of all the meals he eats alone.  If it's an imposition, no problem.  It's up to you, just thought it would be nice. I think you know best.

Frequent Contributor

Does he have a favorite charity.   Could donate the money to the charity in his name.  My thoughts always go to the animal shelters, they can always use donations in either money or products.  

Honored Contributor

I just don't think he would come ovver to eat. He is a bit reserved, and he does have a chum that he goes around with, and they do eat out. I am so happy he has her, she is a very lovely lady, and  she takes great care of him

Esteemed Contributor

I have an elderly neighbor who recently gave up her car.I run errands for her atleast once or twice a week.She insists on giving me $5 for gas each time.I told her kids that I don’t want the money.They told me to take it because she’s a proud woman.They said if I don’t take it she will not let me help her anymore.

So now I use that money to take her to lunch every other week.It gets her out of the house & allows me to do something nice for her.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if he has a charity, but, I do know where he attends church...

Honored Contributor

Except it say thank you,and if you think he needs something in the future ,then buy it for him.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I just don't think he would come ovver to eat. He is a bit reserved, and he does have a chum that he goes around with, and they do eat out. I am so happy he has her, she is a very lovely lady, and  she takes great care of him

@cherry, he may have dietary restrictions. 

We had an elderly neighbor that we sent a monthly floral arrangement. I used to write on the card "Just to brighten your day." When he passed his daughter told me how much it meant to him. 

Honored Contributor

I have thought about that @Trinity11  so ,I make sure if he gets a treat it is only an occasional thing

I think he can pull the skin off of the chicken and it will be ok. I don't think they have grilled chicken .