Respected Contributor

Re: I need suggestions for dealing with a kind neighbor

[ Edited ]

@cherry

I think your decision to offer it to his church is an excellent one.  Perhaps the fund you suggest for drivers could be put in his name once your neighbor passes.  In this way his generiosity would be paid forward and his name attached.  

Lit makes my heart sing to hear of such wonderful neighbors you all are.  This was how neighbors treated each other as I was growing up.  Sadly, it seems to have been lost. Bless you & your DH. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

Haven't read the replies, but based on the original post, I'd say take the money.

People need to keep their dignity and pride. At his age, even though I'm pretty sure he probably shouldn't be driving, he has lost some of his independence if only for a short time, and paying for a ride helps him to feel he isn't an inconvenience or using people. 

You could do something else kind for him, invite him to lunch or dinner at your home, bake and take something to him or help with something you might see him working on outdoors etc. 

But since he isn't destitute, and can afford to pay you the gas money (even though you don't need or want it), let him have his dignity and pride in tact and feel he is contributing, not being totally dependent on others.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

His wonderful wife has passed away, so he is alone

@cherry, seeing he is now a widower, why don't you and you DH invite him over for dinner once a month, 'adopt' him and invite him to family cookouts, etc.  Imho, you'd all benefit:  I truly admire and enjoy elderly people 'cause they've experienced so much more and have a better understanding of life, a knowledge that comes with age.