Honored Contributor

Re: I need help gift shopping please

How about a couples massage?

A wonderful massage place near me offer fabulous couples massages!

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot@Couples massage sounds like a nice relaxing time right after Christmas too.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@QueenDanceALot@Couples massage sounds like a nice relaxing time right after Christmas too.

@dex

It does, doesn't it?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Honored Contributor

I like the Food Saver suggestion, it goes with the freezer you previously gave them. Add some fun ice cube trays, fish for him, something feminine for her. 

I would avoid any and all gift certificates especially a message, not something everyone would want. Gift certificates are nothing more than cash pretending to be a gift. Moreover, often the recipient is forced to add money to it or leave part of it unspent when they use it. 

Trusted Contributor

Magazine subscriptions!  One for each of them.  She sounds like a girl that might like a fashion magazine like Vogue or a similar one.   Choose one for him for any of his interests like sports, mechanics, etc.  

Good luck and have a Merry Christmas!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

So many good ideas upthread!

But...

I was in my early 30s when Mom would casually mention

how hard it was to shop for us kids. SO..I sat down with

my family and suggested ‘no gifts’ for future holidays.  

There was almost a audible sigh of relief. 

Best decision we made.

When gift-giving becomes a chore, that’s when it’s time to stop.

Valued Contributor

My DD and SIL are both professionals with no children who buy everything they want and have very specific tastes, so I am stumped on birthdays and Christmas. One year I bought them the Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville Margarita maker - that was a big hit - something they use a lot. Last year I got them a wine club membership where they were sent 3 bottles of wine 4 times a year.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I like the Food Saver suggestion, it goes with the freezer you previously gave them. Add some fun ice cube trays, fish for him, something feminine for her. 

I would avoid any and all gift certificates especially a message, not something everyone would want. Gift certificates are nothing more than cash pretending to be a gift. Moreover, often the recipient is forced to add money to it or leave part of it unspent when they use it. 

@occasionalrain

My suggestion of a couples massage (unless someone suggested a message?) was just a suggestion of something many people would like.  I think that @dex might have a good idea of whether it is something they would like.

I like gift certificates myself.

Especially for things I would not splurge on.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex, much depends on what you are planning to spend on their gift.  Some ideas are a certificate for a short cruise, a weekend getaway, several restaurant gift cards or gift cards to their favorite clothing stores since they both have careers, or a subscription to either a cooking club or a spice subscription (like Savory Spice) which sends spices and recipes every month.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

So many good ideas upthread!

But...

I was in my early 30s when Mom would casually mention

how hard it was to shop for us kids. SO..I sat down with

my family and suggested ‘no gifts’ for future holidays.  

There was almost a audible sigh of relief. 

Best decision we made.

When gift-giving becomes a chore, that’s when it’s time to stop.

@sidsmom

Every year I hear a number of people kvetch about all the gifts they have to buy for all these family members and when I suggest that they speak up, that maybe others are feeling crunched and stressed as well, they usually respond with something about not wanting to appear "cheap" if they don't want to do this every year.

And then you hear the laments about having to spend the same amount of money on each kid or someone will be upset.

It's crazy.