Honored Contributor

Re: I'm very troubled with AI right now, ChatGBT is one of my concerns..

[ Edited ]

I wonder if an AI bot could be cited in a court case as an accessory to a crime.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I wonder if an AI bot could be sited in a court case as an accessory to a crime.

@deepwaterdotter @Good question. Right now, the professor that was misidentified as a 'secual' harasser is trying to figure out if there is  any entity that can be held responsible for what was said about him. Can AI chats be libelous (legally defamatory)? He doesn't know. 

Frequent Contributor

It seems we may already be too late.  The question is, "Can we control it?"  We have a possible situation of the the creator not being able to control the creature that he has made.  Some ariticles have reported that these programs once created are now developing new capabilities on their own, capabilities that their creators know nothing about, and do not know how these computers are doing that.  And they may be developing these capabilities and keeping it a secret from their creators.

As humans we only experience the world in a few dimensions (length, height, depth, etc.)  Computers can experience the world in hundreds of dimensions.  That capability added to being human-like could be big problems for humans if they can't be controlled.

We will have to rethink our world.  Computers will be able to handle many thinking jobs, many creative jobs, and jobs where they interact and interface with other computers.  The implications are enormous.  What will humans do to earn a living?  Manual labor?  Or will computers figure out how robots will handle much of that?  Will humans be a leisure class with computers doing most of the work?  We not only need to pause development, but we need a bunch of think tanks to process the implications for our society and our world.  How will be operate with them?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Firefly901 @I can't help but draw a parallel between some aspects of AI and Frankenstein's monster and the book, "Frankenstein." Just as you say, we can have the creator loose control of its creation. 

Same parallel can be drawn with Hal the computer in the movie 2001, A Space Odyssey.

Trusted Contributor

More reason than ever to keep a low profile. I'm glad there is no recording of my voice on the internet.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a tool, but I don't want it personally.Having Alexis or Ring in my house...not something I want.  It's all pretty boring around here, not much for a bot to hear, but it is my quiet space and hideout in this difficult world.

That's why I ejected Microsoft Edge, which keeps trying to control my newish computer, for it seems to teem with robotic content.  I stay with Firefox.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm very troubled with AI right now. ChatGBT is one of my concerns.

@Burnsite  I also eschew the new technologies you listed.  The convenience is not worth the potential invasiveness.  

Esteemed Contributor

Arnold was right. "Terminator" I'll be back.....

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm very troubled with AI right now, ChatGBT is just one of my concerns..

@teganslaw wrote:

We already have AI in the form of Alexa and Cortana on computers. Why is no one concerned about that? 

@teganslaw My husband was very concerned about Alexa.  We got one when it first came out but stopped using it after less than a year.  We decided it was too invasive and got rid of it.

Esteemed Contributor

So news today boasts of an AI created and released fake Joe Rogan Podcast where he interviews an AI content creator using voice simulators. Disclaimer as such but appears real at first glance. While I've never listened to his Podcast I know he has millions of followers.

Imagine a dupe of Orson Wells War of the Worlds Podcast? 😳

And one trading house is looking into how to use AI to trade on "news". Create fake news, trade on it. Cash in and run.