Honored Contributor

Re: I'm so glad I got to see the coronation.

[ Edited ]

That was a great dress, @beach-mom , with its vaguely medieval flourishes...

Good catch, @manny2 --  I'm not at all surprised that you are attuned to changes in affect like that.

I've never seen Katy Perry look so sedate!  I think she looks very pretty here--

Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 8.40.08 AM.png

Edited for goofy grammar-- I must have been more shocked by Katy's demure outfit than I thought...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

That was a great dress, @beach-mom , with its vaguely medieval flourishes...

Good catch, @manny2 --  I'm not at all surprised that you are attuned to changes in affect like that.

I've never seen Katy Perry look so sedate!  I think she looks very pretty here--

Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 8.40.08 AM.png

Edited for goofy grammar-- I must have been more shocked by Katy's demure outfit than I thought...

I saw the same brief show of emotion when he looked at Camilla. @Oznell  It must be a highly emotional moment for him. The loss of his mother is recent, and this what he has been groomed for his entire life.  His son the future king is there, and the woman he has always loved beside him.

That is a lot to deal with, and to remain stoic.

Respected Contributor

The solemnity as well as the scaredness of the ceremony was wonderful to see.  A full religious ceremony, I found myself becoming emotional.  Charles, to me, seemed emotional with the anointing and the full weight of the crown he now carries.  I saw a certain amount of frailty due to his age as well. It was heart tugging when William pledged his loyalty and life to him and kissed him............my eyes filled with tears.

I am pleased I was able to see the Coronation and enjoyed all aspects of it.  The pageantry of it all was spectacular and done as only the British can.

William and Kate were splendid in their robes and their children were lovely...........all of them.

Loved all the history that was involved and how meaningful.  I watched the BBC channel, the historical value and meaning of each part was so well explained.  For me a very valuable history lesson.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom thanks for the information on her. I wondered the same thing! That dress was beautiful,

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the parts of the Coroation that I saw. The best part of the show is that I didn't have to pay for it. I wish the Royals well but I'm glad to be an American.

Honored Contributor

Royally done!

I've been inside Westminster and it's incredibly interesting and beautiful during its more ordinary days.  Yet even then it's difficult to see the extent of the splendor lights, people, and the close ups TV cameras provide. 

The other aspect where TV at least visually provides much more than being there in person is outside the Palace. We watched the changing of the guard in the big crowd that gathers to watch, but that crowd was small compared to the coronation crowd and we could hear far more than we saw.

I wish the King and the Queen some years of health and good service to their kingdom and the world beyond.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OznellI  also loved seeing William's pledge to his father, the King.  Another high point for me was George acting as a Page.

It is remarkable that some day the Page will be King.

For whatever reason; I enjoy this whole Royalty thing. 😂 

As I wondered if I'd spot India Hicks (godchild to Charles) at the Coronation; I spied Lionel Richie there in all his glory. I love Lionel Richie. 😝  Elton couldn't be there due to his concert scheduling. 

Later, when I googled India, she said she was left off the list because it is based on meritocracy. She didn't hold any ill Will about it. 

Honored Contributor

We watched the Coronation in its entirety as well as other royal events.

Now when people discuss certain aspects of the Coronation, I'll know what they're talking about. 

What an honor for Prince George to help carry King Charles' train. He did great for a 9-yr old.

Honored Contributor

My mother was British and we used to talk a lot about about British history and the Royal Family.  She has been gone many years now but I enjoy watching these events - weddings, funerals, jubilees, coronations - as it reminds me of her and how proud she was of her heritage but also make me feel like I'm sharing a part of it with her.  Know that sounds sappy but can't help it. 

Honored Contributor

How the British spend their money is none of my business, just as how I spend mine is not theirs or any others. Still, I do have an opinion.

To me, the Coronation was worth every pound spent considering the untold jobs it created, the hotels it filled, the profits businesses gained on sales of souvenirs...the enjoyment of the British citizens and visitors, the cherished, priceless memories that will last a lifetime and be shared with future children and grandchildren.

To me, the cost of the Coronation was money well spent, a bargan.