Respected Contributor

Re: I'm so glad I got to see the coronation.

@willomenia wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Doubtful Harry would ever be interested in ascending to the throne, even if given the chance. He hustled to wait for a car to take him to the airport right after the ceremony....and declined a. Invitation to have lunch with the family today...once again, an olive branch extended by the King. There are only so many olive branches he can be expected to extend. I have to wonder if being at such an important and celebratory event reminds him of everything he gave up by abandoning his royal birth family.

Some olive branch. The poor kid wasn't allowed to sit with the family or wear his uniform. 🙄

@Trinity11 That's the "poor kid's" own doing. I have no sympathy for him. He's lucky he was invited at all.

Harry wanted to get back to celebrate his son's birthday.   For many of us that are  parents, our children take precedence over everything else.  He did make the long trip to show support for his father.

That's bull. If your kids birthday is during the week, most parents have their parties on weekends. Besides, what about parents who have to work, people in military,  etc. 

@willomenia ???  The coronation and Archie's birthday were both on Saturday.

Trusted Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@willomenia wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Doubtful Harry would ever be interested in ascending to the throne, even if given the chance. He hustled to wait for a car to take him to the airport right after the ceremony....and declined a. Invitation to have lunch with the family today...once again, an olive branch extended by the King. There are only so many olive branches he can be expected to extend. I have to wonder if being at such an important and celebratory event reminds him of everything he gave up by abandoning his royal birth family.

Some olive branch. The poor kid wasn't allowed to sit with the family or wear his uniform. 🙄

@Trinity11 That's the "poor kid's" own doing. I have no sympathy for him. He's lucky he was invited at all.

Harry wanted to get back to celebrate his son's birthday.   For many of us that are  parents, our children take precedence over everything else.  He did make the long trip to show support for his father.

That's bull. If your kids birthday is during the week, most parents have their parties on weekends. Besides, what about parents who have to work, people in military,  etc. 

@willomenia ???  The coronation and Archie's birthday were both on Saturday.

My point isn't  the day, it's other things are maybe necessary if they fall on your kids birthday. Did you not read my post correctly?

Valued Contributor

I keep seeing people say that Archie’s birthday could be celebrated another day. Maybe they could have a large party on another day. But my parents always celebrated our birthdays on our actual birthday. If it was a week day they sometimes let off have cake and ice cream at school with our classmates. If they couldn’t take off for that it was dinner at your favorite restaurant and cake and ice cream at home. Or maybe they prepared one of our favorites at home and then cake and ice cream. But they never postponed celebrating our birthday. The ones with just my parents and brother are the ones I remember and enjoyed most.
Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Reported to be Blackamoor figurines on the mantle, stay classy

_129636269_c34bf06e0a1c355f1fd22abe61eb5e5de04fd4f50_0_2704_3500773x1000.jpg

@Greeneyedlady21  I read that these are not Blackamoor statues. They are bronze women. I think, though not %100 sure, they are called "The Weeping Ladies".

Honored Contributor

It seems that Harry was respecting his father and his coronation while also honoring the most important thing to him now-his family.

A birthday for his first born son (or any child!) for a loving father is always something so special to be celebrated on that day! Don't discount it. And you better believe a kid that age, knows it is his birthday.

There are always other parties, at school, party with friends, but as a parent there is no way I would miss the day especially if I had divorced myself from the "royal" life and moved out of the country . 

So I think all the opulance and expense and pomp of the coronation, those who are crowned have already had all the adulation they have never deserved or needed. For all that, Harry was very respectful of his father, and then did what mattered to his heart, his son's birthday. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

It seems that Harry was respecting his father and his coronation while also honoring the most important thing to him now-his family.

A birthday for his first born son (or any child!) for a loving father is always something so special to be celebrated on that day! Don't discount it. And you better believe a kid that age, knows it is his birthday.

There are always other parties, at school, party with friends, but as a parent there is no way I would miss the day especially if I had divorced myself from the "royal" life and moved out of the country . 

So I think all the opulance and expense and pomp of the coronation, those who are crowned have already had all the adulation they have never deserved or needed. For all that, Harry was very respectful of his father, and then did what mattered to his heart, his son's birthday. 

@on the bay 

So Harry flew just about half way around the world in 24 hours TWICE to honor both his father and his son. 

Personally, I think that was the best anyone could do under the circumstances!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@liliblu wrote:

So many talk about how religous the service was.  I found it all about ritual and very little about faith.  Queen Elizabeth seemed to be steeped in faith.  But I don't get that from Charles or Camilla.  It was ceremonial.  A true man of faith would not have done what he did to Diana.  A true man of faith would have focused on his sons after their mother's death.  Instead he focused on himslef and his mistress.  A true man of faith would have not allowed his relationship with his son to deteriote to the degree that his has with Harry.  You can recite scripture all day.  But are you living your professed faith?

@liliblu  My take on this is: I have known men and women of true faith who have made plenty of blunders in their lives. Out of regret or conviction they changed. They tried hard to rectify their wrongs and do better. They were sorry for thier actions.

Even when living your "professed faith" there will be times when we all do the wrong thing. For myself, when that happens, I ask forgiveness and try to do better the next time.  I believe God understands and still loves me. So.... in my mind, don't we need to extend our hands and hearts to others like God does to us?   It doesn't mean we have to agree with them. 

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21  I read that these are not Blackamoor statues. They are bronze women. I think, though not %100 sure, they are called "The Weeping Ladies".

Ok that's good, was hoping they couldn't be that tone deaf or whatever else.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

_129636269_c34bf06e0a1c355f1fd22abe61eb5e5de04fd4f50_0_2704_3500773x1000.jpg

They are indeed The Weeping Ladies.  You can read their provenance here:  https://www.rct.uk/collection/2717/the-weeping-women-candelabra

Bronze.jpg

Candle.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@liliblu wrote:
I keep seeing people say that Archie’s birthday could be celebrated another day. Maybe they could have a large party on another day. But my parents always celebrated our birthdays on our actual birthday. If it was a week day they sometimes let off have cake and ice cream at school with our classmates. If they couldn’t take off for that it was dinner at your favorite restaurant and cake and ice cream at home. Or maybe they prepared one of our favorites at home and then cake and ice cream. But they never postponed celebrating our birthday. The ones with just my parents and brother are the ones I remember and enjoyed most.

Sorry but as a Christmas Eve baby my birthday was very rarely celebrated on my birthday.  Also, never ever got to do a mini party at school with handing out cupcakes.  At 61 I survived decades of a birthday celebrated a day to a week early or even after the new year.  I did get the happy birthday morning ect... from family member's under my roof but there was no party but the family Christmas celebrations took precedence that day.  Still does.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."