Honored Contributor

Re: I'm shocked -- USPS shipping fees😮😳

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 

thank you I tried the "small flat rate" the items I was mailing were squishy to fit in box.  Believe me I tried this first...even the non flat rate small box was the same I paid.

I use flat rate whenever I can -- in this case I would have to go up to medium.

Although I'm a little mad now my friend just told me the USPS place I went to is not a true post office & I paid a service fee since I didn't use flat rate box.

Guess that's the price for convenience!  This sub station post office is in a strip mall in a small store.  Lesson learned ...wait in line at a real post office!

live and learn🙄

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 

The priority would normally be 2-3 days. There is no mail delivery on Thursday this week (federal holiday) so that’s why it’s 4 days this week.

It’s possible your stuff would have fit in a small flat-rate box- although  the 2” height might have been too small. This would have been $7.90 to ship.

Outside:
8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4"
Inside:
8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8

There’s also a priority padded envelope for $8.00 that I bet would have worked. Those aren’t available at the post office but you can order them online & get them shipped for free. I always keep a few on hand & check prices online. Especially if using the large or medium flat rate boxes because they can save you money or cost more. 

Honored Contributor

Shipping costs are crazy.  I was visiting my mother in early May.  I placed an online order with free shipping.  I kept thinking why isn't it here yet, so I finally tracked it.  I mailed it to my house.  I thought we'll that was my stupid mistake, I'll have my house sitter mail it to my mother.  I explained the situation and asked him to mail it.  I guess I wasn't specific enough.  He took it to the post office and overnighted it for $63.  The contents only cost half that.  😳

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters 

Completely forgot about a holiday this week -- once retired the days run into one another!

Yes, that's probably why...

either way I'll be cautious what I mail from now on!  And I know for a fact the stuff I mailed did NOT fit in a small priority or square box which is done by weight vs. flat rate.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I mailed a 6"x3"x2" box weighing 2.2 lbs at USPS today cost $11.77!!!  The items in the box were only $20 and family pictures.

I was shocked,in fact, I asked the clerk to reweigh it because I couldn't believe it.  Here's the biggest shock:

Normal 1st class 7 day delivery - $11.76

Priority 4 day (no longer 3 day) -$11.77

I won't be mailing much anymore!  I left shaking my head then thinking geez maybe I'm getting a bargain when I shop Q (both ways).

Shoekitty said

i hear you.  So high.  I too mailed a priority envelope with a light blouse in it.  $11.30!!  I didnt want to go to ups today.  What I like about UPS is they include unsurance up to 99 for free

Respected Contributor

I'm right there with you.   I bought an 18x18" pillow from Amazon for my BFF's birthday.   It was about $7.00.   I added the puffy insert.   It cost me $22.00 to mail it to her.   That was the cheapest.  Believe me.  After I gasped and asked if there was a cheaper way to send it.  Answer was no.  It must have weight a few ounces.  I'd already bought two tickets for one of the walking tours of NYC ($150.00) for our annual trip but mailed it anyway.   You  only turn 70 once.  

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1. I've always used sub post offices, most recently one in a convenience store and there has never been a fee.  I think your friend is mistaken.   I don't think they'd be allowed to add a fee.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Not only that, but, I mailed a book out, just regular mail, and was told 5 days and it would be there.  It took 12 days.  So no longer will I trust their "guesses".  

Honored Contributor

That's why I only shop with businesses that have free shipping to me and free shipping if I need to return.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Not only that, but, I mailed a book out, just regular mail, and was told 5 days and it would be there.  It took 12 days.  So no longer will I trust their "guesses".  

@qualitygal , maybe the book was sent as media mail, which can be very slow.