Honored Contributor

I'm shocked -- USPS shipping fees😮😳

I mailed a 6"x3"x2" box weighing 2.2 lbs at USPS today cost $11.77!!!  The items in the box were only $20 and family pictures.

I was shocked,in fact, I asked the clerk to reweigh it because I couldn't believe it.  Here's the biggest shock:

Normal 1st class 7 day delivery - $11.76

Priority 4 day (no longer 3 day) -$11.77

I won't be mailing much anymore!  I left shaking my head then thinking geez maybe I'm getting a bargain when I shop Q (both ways).

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm shocked -- USPS shipping fees😮😳

[ Edited ]

In my neck of the woods, USPS shipping charges has always been higher than UPS.  FEDeX is somewhere inbetween.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

you probably should have used one of the usps flat rate priority boxes. it doesnt matter how much items inside weigh, it is still a flat rate and the boxes are free. the small one measures 8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4" and costs $7.90.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

the Q shipping charges don't look too bad compared to if someone were to ship on their own

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1  been there, done that.  i've actually left the post office before, deciding to keep something. 

the pre-paid postage for clothing and such are a bargain. sad but true.  i try not to mail much. 

Honored Contributor

I always ship using parcel post.  It has the lowest priority but unless it's during the Christmas rush, it seems to get there about the same as first class.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes they are high...that is the biggest reason we mostly send money to daughter and family for birthday and Christmas....costs to much to send gifts!

I am not a fan of sending money but we have resorted to money gifts because of the cost, plus our granddaughter has way to much 'stuff'...her parents indulge her. 

Trusted Contributor

I have two young family members to whom I mail a care package every month.  I feel your pain.  Although I combine items within one small box, the shipping cost each month always is between $13 and $15 to send the box 60 miles by USPS.  

In December, when both girls have birthdays ( along with the holidays) and when USPS seems to lose packages ( twice in three years), I send UPS. Yikes, last year the cost was $27 for one carton to travel 60 miles. It did arrive quickly and with no difficulties. 😁

Yep! Those QVC shipping costs can be considered a bargain.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A kind family found my dog's tags (ID & rabies) that had fallen off her collar.  They were kind enough to send them back to a stranger, just because it was the right thing to do.  Even though this is an 8 lb. dog (tiny 1" tags) they had to go to the post office because the tags made the envelope disproportionate to regular mailing rules.  They got a special envelope (small non-paper) from the post office, they carefully wrapped it in a little piece of bubble wrap and paid $3.66 in postage to send it to me.  I was so appreciative this unknown family would go out of their way to do this for me.  Of course, I sent a thank you and reimbursement.  I was delighted to be reminded there are such nice people in the world and I was surprised at how much work they had to go to mail a simple pair of tags - not to mention the cost of doing so.  

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

usps flat rate boxes.....boxes are free, ship for a flat rate, come with tracking, up to $50 insurance. "if it fits it ships"

small flat rate box $7.90 8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4"

medium flat rate box  top loading $14.35 11 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 6"

medium flat rate box side loading $14.35 14" x 12" x 3 1/2"

large flat rate box side loading $19.95 12 1/4" x 12 1/4" x 6"

large flat rate board game box $19.95 24 1/16" x 11 7/8" x 3 1/8"

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein