Honored Contributor

Re: I'm on the hunt for a new television

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Fressa  What size did you buy for the bedroom?  I want to buy one for a bedroom - currently don't have one - and don't want to spend a lot of money.  Is 24" or 29" too small?

@ValuSkr, I keep sizing up in the bedroom. My first was 26", my second was 32" and my current is 40". If your bedroom is a mormal to largish size, i.e. not a "closet bedroom" and you have it at the wall opposite your bed, any of those sizes would do, now that I have the 40" I wouldn't go back to smaller. A 32" would still be okay, but I think 26" is too small to really enjoy unless it was close to you and not across the room. Plus, if you're looking for a TV with better specs and/or a Smart TV, 40" is often where that starts - many companies don't put that many bells & whistles on the smaller sets or even make them 1080p.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

We had the same experience with the expensive Sony we bought about 8-9 years ago.  We bought a Samsung about 7 yrs ago and love it.  We also bought a 42 inch Sharp from QVC and the sound quality is not very good.  I'd buy another Samsung when the time comes.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Something a TV salesman told me one time about choosing the right size TV for your room:  divide the viewing distance in inches in half and you end up with the smallest recommended diagonal measurement for your TV.  Example: viewing distance 8 ft  = 96,  96 divided by 2 = 48 inches. That's the smallest TV you should get to view it 8 feet away.

Of course everyone has their own preference, but I thought it was a good general rule of thumb for those who have no idea what to choose.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check out Costco's Samsung tv's. They have all sizes. I have a slim 40" for downstairs bought 2 yrs ago - and I just bought a 24" for $110. (the 24" is on sale now for a few more days) - regular price was $135. go to costco dot com. Comes with a 2 year warranty - and for 3 add'l years, I only paid $99 for the 40".

Honored Contributor

I could go into a whole bunch of electronic geek specs on tv sets, but I won't here. Electronics have been one of my main interests since I was 15 years old, and I  try my best to keep current with most anything to do with electronics. Samsung has been the Number 1 company in world tv sales for 10 years now. They also are reasonably priced with the cheaper models, up to and including their top models.

We own 3 of them and I have had no reason to buy any other brand. You mention a 49" Samsung which I think I saw on hsn a day or 2 ago. Unless I am mistaken, this is a 4k model, and like High Definition(HD) has become, 4k is the future.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I purchased a 29" flat screen. It's great. I think my old tv was a 24". Measure where you want to place it in your bedroom. It takes up so much less space (depth wise) than the older tvs. Until I had it on top of the dresser I just didn't realize it. The model I have had metal legs (short) that came with it which I like much better than some of the stands on some models. I didn't even think of that when we were looking. I was focused on price.