Honored Contributor

Re: I'm on the hunt for a new television

We won 2 televisions within a year, so at this time, we have 3 Samsung and 1 Sanyo TV in use; 2 older model Sanyo TV's as backups.   We prefer these 2 brands; mainly because they are affordable and when something goes wrong, we toss them without that feeling of guilt for spending a lot of money for them.   I won't spend more than $400 for a TV.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Lipstickdiva,

I think the TCL TVs have good sounding speakers, too. My 65" LG 4K  has terrible sound. If it ever breaks I'm going to replace it with a TCL. Love my 40" TCL!

@SilleeMee, the only real sound difference I've notice between our Samsung and TCL is that we have to have the TCL up on a higher number to hear it.  I can have the Samsung on 11-13 and hear it fine but I have to have the TCL on 18 to hear it.  Not that it's a problem, it's just the only difference I notice.  I did love our Samsung. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva,

I believe there is an volume adjustment you can make in the settings mode. It can be changed from low, medium or high. For example, if you have it set on "high" then a number "1" on the screen volume scale would be louder than a number "1" on the "low" volume setting. Hope that made sense.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I had two LG TVs, one before Smart TVs were invented and one when they were new on the market. They were the MOR TVs from LG, not the cheapest but not their premium sets either. Both of them had lousy sound, and both "blew" after only 3-4 years and went buh-byee.

I recently bought a 1080p 40" Samsung Smart TV that is apparently a 2015 model but still sold many places. It gets a 4+ rating, up to 4.6 out of 5 on some websites, by purchasers with 97% recommending. Right now Best Buy is selling it for $377.99.

I will never use it for everything Smart Tvs do, but I like it fine so far - good picture, good sound, easily adjustable and I've watched Amazon Prime movies on it. I'll explore more in the future. No complaints.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@NorthernLights I have 2 Vizios, one is 6 y/o the other is 4 y/o...both of mine are used a LOT, and I haven't had a problem with either one of them. Please don't condemn an entire brand because of one experience.

I don't expect my TV's to last as long as the old tube-type did.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We have had great luck with SONY

Terrible problems with LG

PS do not buy a Walmart version or Black Friday verison of any electronic device.

@MememeeAll three of my TV's (2 Vizios, 4 & 6 years old, and a Polaroid, 7 or 8 years old, at least) came from Walmart...I've had not one problem with any of them! And they are used daily.

Valued Contributor

I trust Samsung completly.I have a 20 year old microwave made by Samsung that still works like new,so when I purchased a T,V I got a Samsung.Recently I got new kitchen appliances...you guessed it,I would not buy anything but Samsung,I also have a Samsung washer and Dryer.I have had no issues with any of thes products.If I were you I would not hesitateAnother good brand is Sharp,recommend by a man that works on T.V.'s and has his own shop.

Super Contributor

I've had a Samsung 46" flatscreen for about 10 years with no problems, beautiful picture. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa  What size did you buy for the bedroom?  I want to buy one for a bedroom - currently don't have one - and don't want to spend a lot of money.  Is 24" or 29" too small?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D.     My first choice would be Samsung and Motorola (Magnovox) both are excellent.  I will never forget buying a 41 in. Apex which completely died (screen went black) in 3 years.  So sorry I never purchased the Target replace pkg.  I buy my tvs at Target as they are very competitive.  Best Buy is not that great with prices in my area.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength