Respected Contributor

Re: I'm on the hunt for a new television

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We have had great luck with SONY

Terrible problems with LG

PS do not buy a Walmart version or Black Friday verison of any electronic device.

I did but I agree with you - I bought a 32" Vizio and put in my bedroom.  It was cheap, the color is good and for what I paid it's no big deal if it only lasts a few years and exactly why I did not buy the larger 60" TV for my main room there.   On another note - I borrowed a friend's 2015 Consumer Reports end of year report and when I went out looking for a 60" larger TV for my great room and I found that all the recommended specific models of brands they recommend are never in any of the stores.  It's as bad as buying a mattress!

Esteemed Contributor

SONY - have 2 - Have never owned a different brand in 32 years

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another fan of Sony here.

The last one I purchased was a floor model, 42 inches

It was still expensive but marked down enough to be a good deal.

Going on 6 years now, beautiful HD picture.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in a mountain community that doesn't have anyplace other than Wal-Mart (and Phoenix is 3 hrs away) so we bought our last tv from Amazon. We plugged in our criteria and sorted from most popular down.  After reading the specs and reviews, we picked a 55" Panasonic and it was delivered 2 days later.

Esteemed Contributor

We purchased a Samsung when our bedroom tv died. It is great. Clear picture. Nice sound. Doesn't take up a ton of room. Now I wish I would have gotten the next size up. I also appreciate the quiet "off/on" button since we are on different shifts in our household. 

I was pleased with the bedroom version that wehne our family room big screen died shortly after we purchased another larger Samsung. 

Honored Contributor

We have a Samsung and I think it's about 5 years old tops and it's on its last leg.  A few weeks ago half the screen went green and when that went away, the color is definitely more gray and it has lines going across the bottom.  The color now comes and goes.

Not sure what we are going to do but it's not bothersome enough for us to do anything with it for now.  We're going to try and hold out until Black Friday. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There's a brand called TCL and it's the most popular brand sold over in China. I own a 40" TCL smart TV and I will tell you that after owning many TVs... Sony, Samsung, LG, Vizio...the TCL is a super good competitor. The brand is just now gaining popularity here in the US and for good reason. It has a terrific screen and many good features. Don't let the price point fool you. TCL makes all sizes. Check out the impressive reviews on Amazon. This one is a 49" 4K for less than $360:

TCL 49S405 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)

@Mindy D

@SilleeMee, we have a TCL 4k Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV in our bedroom.  It's new.  We are toying with bringing that downstairs, tossing our Samsung that's about shot and buying something else for upstairs.  We love that TCL tv.  I'm not sure of the model.  We bought it at Target and it was very affordable.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D. I must be lucky....I use to have issues with my tube style TVs going out....but since having the flat screens,   my TVs last a long time.    

I have a 50 inch plasma LG that must be 10 years old  and it  is my favorite TV in the house.  Two three other  LGs all about  35 inch that are 5 plus years old work fine.   Most of them are on 16 hours a day.

Sounds like you just had some bad luck.  LG for me is my favorite as the sound is so good.  Hope whatever you buy lasts a long time!🙂

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

SONY - have 2 - Have never owned a different brand in 32 years

My $2000 Sony had the light engine go out, after three years, as did all the other owners. Had I not paid additional money to Brandsmart, and bought an extended warranty, I would have paid $900 just for that part. I got a second three years out of that light engine. Most TVs older than twelve or thirteen years are still going strong. I'm currently using my picture tube Sony, that is fifteen years old, to watch right now, until we get a new TV. Generally, the new TV are lasting under four years. Check online and see the zillions of complaints. Brand after brand no for all price ranges. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva,

I think the TCL TVs have good sounding speakers, too. My 65" LG 4K  has terrible sound. If it ever breaks I'm going to replace it with a TCL. Love my 40" TCL!