Trusted Contributor

I'm looking for a boring, monotone audiobook to help me fall asleep. Any suggestions?

I'm a troubled sleeper at times and try to not take medications unless I really have to. I had never listened to audiobooks until a couple months ago when I checked out the first Harry Potter book and put it on my iPod Touch. I wanted something that I had already read so I wouldn't have to follow the story. I found I was falling asleep pretty quickly. I tried other Harry Potter books, but there was too much action going on for it to be sleep inducing.

More recently, I checked out Nicholas Sparks' The Longest Ride. I listened to the first part with the older male character and it was great! Very monotone. Then the next part was the younger female character and I woke right up. Then I tried Bill O'Reilly's Killing Kennedy book and that's been OK, but I decided there was something to this monotone audiobook thing and I'm looking for some recommendations. I've only been checking out what's available in the digital library and sometimes there's not too much to choose from.

And, in case anyone is wondering, I do use white noise apps, there's a pay-for one called Relax Melodies in the iTunes store that is great. I started out with the free app and liked it so much I wanted the premium version. I'm looking to switch it up a little with audiobooks. Thanks for any help.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a boring, monotone audiobook to help me fall asleep. Any suggestions?

I don't really have any audio books to suggest but maybe something nonfiction. The monuments men looks boring to me.

Are there any boring radio talk shows you could listen to.

Super Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a boring, monotone audiobook to help me fall asleep. Any suggestions?

Are there any audio versions of Ken Burns TV specials. The TV shows put me right to sleep.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the radio would work, but maybe a podcast would be an option.

I've seen Ken Burns on Good Day NY a couple times and you might be onto something!

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure about the monotone part but you might try any of these books by Bill Bryson:

http://www.billbryson.co.uk/index.php/books/

I have listened to ""The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid"" ; and ""A Walk in the Woods""

""Neither Here nor There""

Make sure you get the audiobook read by the author. He has a very soothing voice.

I enjoyed the books but I could see going to sleep by them.

Honored Contributor

The Bible?

Honored Contributor

Citizen Kane ......... (or Cane?) ...... or War and Peace.

Those will put you in a coma.

Honored Contributor

I use the t.v. for that.

Respected Contributor

Talk radio. There's a guy whose radio program is so boring, he puts me right to sleep. I just tune out whatever he's saying and VOILA! I'm zonked out.

I just looked up the spelling of his last name. It's the "John Batchelor Show". He's REALLY REALLY BORING. If you can stand his voice, you'll be asleep in no time. Check your local radio listings. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 qualitygal said:

I use the t.v. for that.

Me too, always leave it on HSN. Love the network but they do put me out at night. Plus that very early morning girl is so bad it gets me out of bed and even out of the bedroom to get away from her. Bedtime story and an alarm clock all in one network.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."